Friday, June 30, 2006

To Eat or Not to Eat: That is the Hummus

I’m going to be honest, my friends, I’ve been struggling to write today’s post. It’s not that I have a lack of topics to discuss; I’ve actually started this post about five times. I was going to write about how I got back on the wagon with a trip my trainer on Thursday that was so intense I nearly got sick. Then I thought, “No. I’ll tell them about some of the things the psychic told me that have come true.” But, alas, I was not inspired. So I decided that I would write something honest, raw, without my usual veil of sarcasm. I started to write about my goals and my hopes for my 27th year. But, let's face it, I don't have any. Just kidding.

I’ve decided that this post should be about hummus. Yes, hummus.

In order to provide my readers with an accurate description of hummus, I searched it on Wikipedia. Here is first paragraph of the hummus entry:

Hummus (Arabic: حُمُّص‎; Greek: Χούμους; Hebrew: חומוס; Armenian translit: hamos; also spelled houmous, hommus, hummous or humus) is a dip made of chickpea paste and tahini (sesame seed paste), with flavorings such as olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and paprika.

If I were to contribute to the hummus entry on Wikipedia, I would write this:

Yum.

You can access the full entry here:
Wikipedia Hummus Entry

Why hummus you ask? Well, because I have a problem. Some people overindulge in alcohol or drugs, some people overindulge food in general. I overindulge hummus specifically. I cannot get enough hummus. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and still crave it.

You might argue, "But Lou, hummus is healthy. It's low in fat and calories and it's high in protien." True. But, when you consume anything in extreme quanities, it becomes, as the experts say, not so good.

And, as most things in my life, it gets worse.

If you are a hummus lover, like myself, you probably know that hummus goes best with pita bread. So, with each container of hummus I consume, I quadruple the damage with a package of pita bread.

I know it sounds like I'm joking, but it's seriously a problem and I can't figure out why I crave it. I've heard that when your body craves certain foods it's often because your body is lacking the nutrients provided by that food (I attributed a serious cheese phase to my body needing calcium). But seriously, how many chickpeas does one person need?

I'll leave you with that "food for thought." Nothing like ending a post with a pun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.