Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Greetings from the ER

I went against my better (I say better, some may use the adjective “clouded”) judgment and listened to my boyfriend, my mom and the anonymous commenter on yesterday’s post, and went to the urgent care facility at Northwestern yesterday after work to have my thumb wounds looked at by a resident.

The verdict (and I kid you not): Put a band-aid on it.

Isn’t there a hotline I could have called for that advice?

To be fair, the resident did have the attending physician look at it as well. Wounds can’t be stitched (or “sutured”—I am apparently the only person who had no idea what the word sutured meant before this ordeal) if it’s been more than 24 hours since the accident. They told me to keep it dry and keep it covered. If it gets red, irritated, swollen, or any kind of liquid or solid begins to ooze out of it (sorry for the mental picture), I should probably come back in.

Thanks doc. I’ll go ahead and help myself to a few rubber gloves. I’m going to make glove balloons out of them. Bonus.

Now, to whom do I sign over my firstborn child?

Honestly, I don’t know how much that little piece of advice is going to cost me. I just gave them my insurance card from my last job and will wait for them to kick it back. By the time that happens, I should be able to sort out the Cobra mess and figure out if it’s worth it to get coverage for this one visit.

I feel a Mastercard “Priceless” commercial coming on:

Kitchenware I cut myself on… $20
Pack of band-aids and Neosporin… $8
Visit to Northwestern’s urgent care… $400
Peace of mind that my thumb’s not going to fall off… yet…

Priceless.

No comments: