Thursday, July 20, 2006

I Have a Hard Life

The CES Wednesday night workout involved… in a word… pain. We did hill repeats, which means that the coaches put together a course for us to run with lots of hills and we had to repeat that course for 25 minutes.

It doesn’t sound that bad, right? You’re probably thinking, “Whatever Lou, I take an hour long step class, 25 minutes of any exercise is a snap.” OK… why don’t you take that step class out of the air-conditioned studio into the extremely humid Chicago outdoors, turn the step a hill and start running. See how long you last.

I’m sorry, that was out of line. I’m just a little bit angry. Sometimes, running makes me angry, which is probably counter-intuitive to what one would assume. For me though, on occasion, running frustrates me terribly.

Let’s take last night for instance. I’m running along, practically passing out and watching every other person leave me in the dust. Now, I know that some of the people in CES are really strong athletes and I don’t compare myself to them, but when I see that pretty much every other person in the running group can beat me, it’s rough. Whether it’s a middle aged overweight man, an 80 year old woman, or people in my "beginner" walk/run training group who haven’t followed the training schedule as closely as I have, it’s difficult to admit that I might just be the slowest of the slow.

At a few points I stopped running and took a walking break. It’s those times that I have to wonder, why isn’t any one else struggling as much as I am? Or are they? Am I just listening to my body or am I not pushing myself enough?

I really don’t know the answer to that question.

No comments: