Thursday, August 24, 2006

Couch? Check. TiVo? Check. Mattress? Uh…

Isn’t moving fun? I should really move more often because once every four months really isn’t enough to satiate my craving for the move.

The clock is ticking my friends. I will officially be a renting again in one week. The best and worst aspect of this move boils down to furniture and the fact that I don’t have too much of it. Good because I don’t have to move a bunch of crap. Bad because I don’t have any furniture.

This wasn’t always the case. Once upon a time, I had a lot of furniture, granted some of it was in pretty shabby shape. However, thanks to my keen decorating sense, I was able to turn garage sale finds and hand me downs into a pretty nicely put together apartment. But, I don’t live there anymore.

In what I will from here on out refer to as “The Big Boyfriend Move In of 2006,” or TBBMIO 2006, there were victims. Not just me… or him… but our furniture. It’s called compromise people and we both had to give some things up: my dining room set, his couch, my coffee table, his desk, my mattresses. All went to the curb, where it’s likely that the items were promptly picked up by scavengers who resold them at flea markets and on Craigslist. It’s a business people. I'm not kidding. There is money to be made.

As for my couches, I’m leaving them behind because a) I know E (the boyfriend) will give them a good home; b) you couldn’t pay me to move those suckers again; and c) it’s about time I update my look a little. If you chose all of the above, you are correct.

So… I bought a new couch this week. Very exciting. I found “the one” at a store called Domicile, which carries beautiful and often out of my price range furniture. My initial plan was to get a red couch. It would have been a bold move, but one I was ready to take. Unfortunately, it would have taken 8-12 weeks to get the couch I wanted. What was I going to do? Sit on the floor for three months? Not likely.

Well, the style of couch I initially picked out was available on the showroom floor in a light green color that would work nicely with much of my artwork. But that couch had a small mark on the side. In a twist that no one saw coming, the store manager offered me the couch for 50 PERCENT OFF. Yes, you heard that in your head correctly.

SOLD.

The moral of the story is don’t get rid of your furniture, but if you do, take the opportunity to randomly be offered a deal that you can’t possibly say no to. Check out my new couch.

No comments: