Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's MADNESS

I like to waste time. The more time I can waste, the better. That’s why every Monday, when I receive my weekly CES e-newsletter, I read it and once in awhile, I learn something.

Take yesterday for example, I learned about “taper madness.” Taper madness basically means you lose your mind because you’re nervous prior to a race. This temporary insanity can manifest itself in any number of ways: binge shopping, mood swings, irritability, loss of appetite or increased appetite (just kidding, that’s depression), the inability to think about anything else other than the race.

So I wondered, “Am I experiencing taper madness?” I did by a totally unnecessary hat that I'll probably never wear at Target. I’m often irritable, so I’m not sure if that counts, but I do think about the race a lot.

Well, not so much the race, but “after the race.” I daydream about my life after the race quite often. Don’t get me wrong; there are many positive aspects to training. I’m sure I considered all of those aspects when I decided to take the plunge and sign up for CES. They were good reasons; I just can’t remember any of them.

What I do remember is drinking after work on Fridays pre-Saturday morning training. Sweet, sweet alcohol. There’s something about a Friday afternoon happy hour that is just so… happy. I haven’t had a drink on a Friday afternoon in months. I miss that. And-at the risk of sounding like I have a problem-I think about it a lot.

After training is over (and I don’t have a reason to get up at 5am on Saturday morning), I’m making it my mission to bring back Friday afternoon happy hour. A girl’s gotta have a reason to live, you know…

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I agree wholeheartedly, Friday afternoon happy hour is a must. Here is to hoping the the half marathon is fantastic for you - and that the next happy hour you attend was worth the wait!