Sunday, August 13, 2006

It’s OVER!

The Chicago Distance Classic is finally OVER.

This morning I woke up at 4:30am after a total of three hours of sleep and trekked downtown for the half marathon. Five hours later, it was over. And yes, I finished. In addition, I had a semi-secret goal of finishing in less than three hours. My official time was 2 hours, 50 minutes and 2 seconds. Congratulations to me. I did it… and it’s finally over.

The weather was cool when I began the race, but by mile nine and ten, the race course took the runners on the lakefront and with little shade, the sun beat down on us. It started to get rough at that point. By mile 12 I felt terrible, but as I came upon mile 13, two of my friends were standing there cheering me on. It helped tremendously. Suddenly, I felt great, smiled and waved for some pictures and sprinted to the finish line. Just kidding, the ability to sprint was far beyond my reach at that point. I jogged, but I made it. As a bonus, another friend of mine was handing out the finisher’s medals. I saw her immediately, gave her a hug and she gave me my medal. It was really awesome.

After about 20 minutes, I stopped feeling like hell and we went for breakfast/lunch at Heartland Café (ummmmm… hummus). I came home, took the world’s fastest shower and fell asleep for two hours.

It feels like someone hit me in the legs with a baseball bat. I’m still a bit disoriented. But, on the upside, I have a massage scheduled tomorrow. I totally deserve it.

As for my running “career”, I already have my next goal. There is a 5K in October and I want to run it at a 10 minute/mile pace. After that… who knows? Is there another half marathon in my future? Perhaps a triathlon? Maybe a full marathon? The answers to those questions are, in order of the questions: Not in the summer, maybe, and hell to the no. I’m kidding… anything is possible (except a marathon). Heck, when I finished my first 8K in March, I said that I saw no point in running further than five miles. And, here I am. I started running eight months ago and I’ve finished a half marathon. Wow… that’s actually pretty cool. Now, if I could just make the pain go away.

P.S. I’m going to upload some pictures of the half marathon, so check back soon and you can see how lovely and fresh I look at the 13 mile marker.

3 comments:

Laura P said...

Congrats! Knew you could do it ;)

Kendra said...

WAHOOO!!! Congratulations on your finish, and within your 3 hour goal with time to spare! Look forward to hearing about your training for the next goal...

Stacey said...

Congratulations! I once ran for 13 minutes so I know how you felt. Wait, you said 13 MILES? Oh, that's just crazy! I'm proud of you!