Thursday, August 17, 2006

The "Wow Factor"

I went to my trainer last night and worked out for the first time since the half marathon. I spent the majority of the time pouting and avoiding as much exercise as possible by whining questions at my trainer, among them: “What am I supposed to do now? Should I keep running? Can I take aerobics classes? Can you put together a new program for me?” The truth is I feel incredibly lost and completely unmotivated to workout.

There is such a thing as post-race depression. More than three months of training and preparing for one day culminated in a race that took less than three hours. It's a bit of a let down. I have nothing big to work towards and no reason to get off my butt and run. I imagine this is how some brides feel after their wedding day. Months and months (sometimes years) of planning and it’s all over in a few hours. Bummer.

I have no choice but to just re-focus on my new goal: running a 5K at a 10/mile pace. Sure it’s not a glamorous goal that makes people say, “Wow, I can’t believe you’re going to run a 5K,” but it’s something. I just need to convince myself of the wow-factor. “Wow, I’m going to run a 5K…” Eh… I’ll get there, but probably not this week.

There are other factors in my life that are affecting my emotional state. A lot of changes are going to take place in the next month and as soon as I’m comfortable with everything, I’m sure I will be writing about them here.

No comments: