Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Oh The Places I'll Go

The last couple weeks have been sort of a “crash course” in remembering what it’s like to be single again. You know… going out to the bars with your single girl friends, wondering if anyone will talk to you, getting annoyed when it’s only losers who do, never hearing from the guy you gave your number to, and spending lots of quality time on the couch with watching Carrie Bradshaw lead a much more fabulous life than your own (admittedly you’ve seen her live this life seven times already, but it doesn’t get old).

I know what you’re thinking, “Lou, do you really think you should be getting back out there already?”

Ain’t no time like the present my friends.

I’m just kidding. Rather than describe myself as being “out there,” I would say I’m, “not in here” (“here” being my apartment).

More than anything, filling my days and nights with activity, including bar hopping, helps me avoid falling into the deep depression--not to mention the headache--that inevitably follows multiple hours of flipping between Sex and the City reruns and whatever is on the E! Network.

And truthfully, I missed the bars. It’s like reuniting with an old friend who welcomes you back without question regardless of the fact that you ignored them for a year. I missed the ritual of getting ready for a night out. And though it’s usually subconscious, I missed that feeling of “anything can happen tonight,” even though sometimes it’s a little disappointing when nothing does. But, the possibility is there. You pretty much know what you’re going to get if you sit on the couch watching “Child Star Confidential” with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.

No comments: