Thursday, October 05, 2006

Where's my Bullhorn?

Now, it is rare that I get on my soapbox and preach about some political or social topic in my blog. But, as many of you know, much of my work and personal life revolves around reading and writing. I am even employed by an organization that would not exist if not for reading and writing.

Last week, the American Library Association observed Banned Books Week, a time when institutions based on reading and writing celebrate the freedom to read. Call me na├»ve, but I thought our country was past the days of denying access to books because of content that some deemed to be “inappropriate.”

I was apparently wrong. And here are a few recent articles that prove it:

'Banned' books a model of Orwellian 'newspeak'

Ban Harry Potter or face more school shootings"

Display of Banned Books Removed at Harrisonburg High School


Wow.

That’s pretty much all I have to say. Except for this… the American Library Association DOES acknowledge the Bible as a banned book, ALA does support "age appropriate" material, a display that entices kids to read CLASSIC LITERATURE is not a bad thing, and Harry Potter is not turning kids into practitioners of Wicca nor is it the cause of school shootings.

It saddens me greatly that today in American there are still people who will argue points of view (very loudly) that strip away at even the most basic of freedoms. Perhaps I’m simplifying the matter in a black and white, wrong is wrong, right is right kind of way (like they are).

I’ll stop here before I launch full on into a tirade about “what’s wrong with our country.” I hope you’ll read those articles. They’re rather interesting.

No comments: