Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ouch. That Hurts.

One word: Pain. That’s what I felt when I woke up this morning. A few Advil later (I should seriously buy stock in Wyeth Pharmaceuticals), I’m good, but man… this morning, like I said… Pain.

Last night I ran with CES. Wednesday night runs tend to be a little less organized than our Saturday long runs. There aren’t really pace leaders, so you have to just kind of find people who are in your pace group and hope that somebody wore a watch. I found a decent portion of the girls I ran with on Saturday and we stuck together for the 40-minute run (that’s still “long” right?).

First thing, I have never run on the Chicago lakefront path at night. We began the run heading north away from downtown and then, 20 minutes later turned around and headed back towards the city. WOW. The view of the Chicago skyline from the lakefront path has always been one of my favorite parts of the CES Saturday morning runs, but it’s spectacular at night. I’m going to take a picture of it eventually so I can share it with all of you. So worth it…

Second thing, without a pace leader, people tend to run faster. I kept up with my group, but I’m pretty sure that was more because I was afraid of getting lost on the lakefront path in the dark than because I actually could. I have no idea what our pace was, but I was definitely pushing my limits. This morning pre-Advil, my legs were killing me.

It’s good for me to be in a group that does push me. However, I don’t want to be pushed so much that I end up with an injury. It’s a delicate balance. Perhaps I will discuss with my trainer tonight.

Tomorrow I’m off to California for work. I traveling from Chicago to Sacramento to Seattle and finally, back to Chicago. It’s my first work trip for this employer and I hope it goes well. Provided that my wireless Internet connection works (cross your fingers for me) I will probably post… mostly likely about whether or not I eat like a maniac (I enter an airport and immediately need ice cream) and whether or not I keep up with my CES training program (5 miles on a hotel treadmill is not something I’m looking forward to).

No comments: