Friday, December 01, 2006

The Weather Outside is Frightful

Wow. Today is slow, with a capital S-L-O-W. The office has the vibe of an impending three-day weekend, when 60 percent of the people took the Friday off for good measure and no one who came in is doing anything productive. I have to admit. I’m a little bored.

Well, what can I tell you? Last night, my friend and I met with our trainer for the first time since Thanksgiving. We always enjoy our time with him, but I’ve admittedly been tired this week… perhaps because over my week-long vacation, I began napping (usually in front of the television) every day. I haven’t napped since college. And now that I’m back in Chicago and back at work, I’ve stopped napping. Maybe my body is re-adjusting.

Today, I woke up to the first winter storm of the season and used it as an excuse to lie in bed until after 8am because I convinced myself that “school” would be canceled. “Someone will call…” I told myself; moreover if no one calls, chances are no one will show up at the office anyway (I was wrong on both accounts). I rolled into work at 9:30 blaming the weather rather than my lack of motivation to get out of bed. “I finally made it.” The fact that I could barely walk due to last night’s workout also contributed to the snail-like walking pace to the train.

Tomorrow morning I run seven miles with the CES group. It’s going to be cold, it’s going to be windy, and chances are, the lakefront path will not be cleared of snow. I believe Weather.com listed tomorrow morning’s temperature at 25 degrees (that’s at 8am friends), 13 degrees if you factor in the wind chill. It’s going to be real… real crappy. I’ll be sure to let you know if I survive (unlikely).

No comments: