Thursday, January 25, 2007

Up in the Gym Just Workin' on My Fitness

I go through phases with music. Back in the olden days when we listened walkmans and still knew what a tape was, I dated men (and by men, I mean "boys") who played instruments... musical instruments, that is. My first "real" boyfriend played guitar. My second "real" boyfriend played the drums. And I think there might have been another guy I dated who played the bass or drums or both, but I can’t remember his name anymore (you know it’s all over when you can’t remember "the names." You know what I’m talking about).

Dating "musicians" means spending time with them and their friends, a group of individuals who have formed an entity specifically for the purpose of playing music, otherwise known as "a band." Dating musicians also means that the music you listen to will be judged... harshly. Music is serious. It has to be deemed worthy of listening to with an ambiguous term like, "good" or "life changing." Let's be honest, it's helps if you're high.

A rebel at heart, I rebelled against the man... I mean men... or boys, whatever. I stopped listening to what my boyfriends considered "good" music my senior year of college and started listening to rap and pop music. Pop music, by merely being categorized as such, is not "good;" rap can go either way ("good" or "bad"). I listened to "bad" rap music. Why did I do this? Because I wanted to dance. True story.

Eventually I grew out of my Britney Spears and Nelly phase and settled somewhere in the middle. But for me, I realized, music is rarely something to sit and listen to and judge. It’s something to inspire movement. Therefore, I primarily listen to my iPod when I’m walking around the city (totally not safe), when I’m cleaning, when I’m cooking, when I’m getting ready for a night on the town, when I feel the need to dance around my apartment, and most definitely when I’m at the gym. So in the spirit of lists:

Up in the Gym Workin' on My Fitness Playlist
  • About Her (From the Kill Bill soundtrack)
  • Driving Sideways (Aimee Mann from the Magnolia soundtrack that I listened to nonstop junior year of college… still listening)
  • Fergalicious (Yeah. I said it. I can’t help but respect the fact that Fergie only sings about how hot she thinks she is)
  • Get It Together (Beastie Boys)
  • Here It Goes Again (OK Go… AKA the treadmill song)
  • How to Save a Life (The Fray… I’m still trying to figure out why I downloaded this one... I’m pretty sure I was hypnotized by Grey’s Anatomy)
  • I Will Follow You Into the Dark (Death Cab for Cutie)
  • London Bridge (Fergie… yes, again)
  • Ohio (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young)
  • Secret (Madonna)
  • Soul Meets Body (Death Cab for Cutie… this is my stand-by running song)
  • Steady As She Goes (The Raconteurs)
  • Suddenly I See (KT Tunstall… you might know it as the Ugly Betty girl power song, or The Devil Wears Prada girl power song, or the… just kidding, you get the point)
And remember. Music makes the people come together.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Sometimes I daydream about locking Fergie in a closet and playing "My Humps" over and over again until she admits it is a crappy song. That is all.

@ said...

can i be your witness?

Lou said...

To my awesomeness... yes.