Friday, February 09, 2007

The Big “V”

No, not that V!

The “V” I’m referring to is, of course, Valentine... as in, will you be mine? Because I don’t have one, and apparently, that is the single saddest thing that can happen to a woman in February.

This morning began like all other mornings. I left my house and walked to the bus stop where I picked up the Red Eye, a free edition of the Trib that caters to “young, urban professionals who are short on time and long on disposable income” (straight from their Web site people). The Red Eye provides me with the perfect balance of minimal real news and maximum celebrity gossip and pop culture fluff.

Paging through the Red Eye as I rode the bus downtown, I came across the Gina Spot column: Don't let overhyped V-Day seduce you.

Did I miss something? Because I didn’t realize Valentine’s Day was being “hyped.” Unless you count all the articles in the Red Eye about the holiday, I really haven’t heard or thought much about it.

That’s probably because I’m not in a relationship (how sad I cannot participate in the couple-only festivities).

But wait! There’s more. According to the column, I don’t have to spend V-Day in my favorite pair of over-sized, stinky sweat pants (an old boyfriend’s… how sad), rent a romantic comedy, and weep quietly into pint of Ben and Jerry’s. (I can do that any day!). On Valentine’s Day, I must--for the sake of single women everywhere--celebrate singlehood and stand up for girl power (you can't see me, but I am shaking my fist in the air as a gesture of defiance right now)! Rather than “mope and wallow,” Gina sugests I throw a “Love Yourself Party,” “schedule an evening massage,” or just get out to the bars with some single gal pals for a night on the town.

But, Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday. Can’t I just do what I do every Wednesday night—go to the gym, ride the train home, make myself dinner, watch TV, read a little, and go to bed... alone (how sad)?

What bothers me most about the “hype” (and it's not just Gina's column, there are countless "news stories" out there intended to help me--the single woman---avoid severe depression on the big day) is that I don’t remember Valentine’s Day ever being that big of a deal to me--relationship or no relationship. Is it really that important? Do women really expect flowers, chocolate, candles and romance if they are attached, and, if unattached, are we required to either feel like losers or take some kind of action that preferably involves binge drinking to prove that it’s OK to be single on Valentine’s? (But, I can binge drink because I've got something to prove any day.)

Notice also that news outlets don’t talk much about men needing to stand up (pound on their chests) and proclaim “I am single man; hear me roar” on Valentine’s Day. But, maybe it’s just me...

3 comments:

@ said...

it's not just you. this is madness.

lou, be my valentine. i will buy you a heart-shaped go-lean bar. also, i will tell you your hair looks nice. don't single girls like to be told that kind of stuff?

Kendra said...

When I was younger Valentine's Day meant way more to me. Why? Because I was selfish and wanted to know what my current boyfriend was going to get for me or where he would take me. Now that I'm getting married - I could care less about this holiday. Probably because I know Blake loves me every day - not just on Valentine's Day.

So to anyone who is single - its really not worth all the "hype" in those free magazines. Most of the normal couples will be having dinner in, working out, and going to bed early so they don't sleep through work the next day.

Lou said...

I am satisfied with my righteous dissent of the Valentine’s hype. If Sex and the City and self-esteem taught us anything, it’s that being single can be, and should be, fulfilling. This is supposed to have seeped into collective consciousness of society by now.

Articles reminding us that we are alone and, “it’s OK, you poor thing,” are patronizing at best. We already knew that it was OK. We never actually asked the question.

And once we single and fabulous (not with a question mark) people settle down with someone who is worth our time and energy, I’m guessing that, like Keni says, Valentine’s Day will not be as meaningful, because appreciation will happen every day.

Oh and check out the link @ sent me: http://www.meish.org/vd/