Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Watch List

What’s wrong with me?

Don’t answer that. I’m going to tell you what’s wrong with me, at least today... in terms of food.

You see, my problem is that every time I kick one bad food "addiction," I immediately replace it with another. What makes this even worse is that I’m really good at finding semi-healthy food that is so yummy I end up eating way too much of it. The result? Semi-healthy food no longer so semi-healthy. Sad face.

Oasis Hummus, Black Bean Dip, and Greek Pita Bread
Imagine my delight four years ago when I stumbled upon fat-free hummus, black bean dip, and pita bread in a Columbus, Ohio Wild Oats Market. And not only was the fat-free fare good, it was great! Game on! I could now eat hummus and pita bread like it was my job. And I did. It became a problem… real fast like. The more I ate it, the more I wanted it. I figured when I left C-bus that my affair with the dips and pita was O-V-E-R. Not so fast. I have been able to find the beloved brand of hummus and black bean dip, as well as the pita, in every town I have lived in since (that includes Evanston, IL, Detroit, and Chicago—I can’t remember if I found it in Boston or not). Finally, in Fall 2006, I banned myself from the hummus.

House of Wah Sun Crab Rangoon and Chicken Chow Fun
Oh takeout food… the single, city-dwelling girl can survive on it. What do you mean cook? It’s so much easier to call for Chinese takeout, especially when you’ve programmed the number to House of Wah Sun into your phone. Probably not one of my best-laid plans. For a few weeks this winter, I became that girl who, though slightly embarrassed, calls the same restaurant, several times a week with the exact same order: crab rangoon and chicken chow fun (there's nothing healthy about that meal!). I tried to keep the portions under control, only to unwrap the leftovers and eat them within an hour or so of putting them in the fridge. Bad Lou! I had to stop. House of Wah Sun is still in my phone. I should delete it. Like the ex-boyfriend I worry I may one day "accidentally" drunk dial, no good can come possibly come of having easy access to that number.

Amy’s Cheese Pizza Snacks
You’ve probably binged on Totinos Pizza Rolls once or twice in your life. There's no shame in it. We've all been there. Enter Amy’s Cheese Pizza Snacks—the sort-of healthy, organic version of the pizza roll and they are oh-so-good. It’s hard to eat just one… or just 12. Plus, at $3.50 a box (and a box only includes 12), they are a pretty pricey item. I’ve decided it’s time to start sidestepping the organic freezer section of the grocery store. Two boxes of Amy’s Pizza Snacks and I can get into serious trouble. It’s better not to have them in the house.

Tank ½ Price Maki on Saturday and Sunday Afternoon
The equation is so simple… almost too simple: Sushi=Healthy, ½ Price=Cheap. What could possibly go wrong? Let’s examine, shall we? When I eat sushi and it’s not ½ price, I tend to get a couple of pieces of salmon, some unagi, a spicy tuna roll. Healthy, yes. Controlled, yes. I steer clear of those high-priced rolls that include fun stuff like cream cheese, spicy mayo, and tempura crumbs. But, at Tank ½ price maki Saturdays and Sundays, all bets are off and it’s a sushi free-for-all. My favorite rolls:
  • Alaskan Night: salmon, rock crab meat, avocado, covered with black tobiko, sesame seeds
  • Crazy eel: avocado, cream cheese, sesame seeds topped with eel, sweet soy sauce, crushed peanuts
  • Ocean Sundae: shrimp tempura, cream cheese, avocado, tobiko chili sauce, scallions, sesame seeds, covered with tempura crumbs, wasabi mayo, sweet soy sauce
  • Orange Crush: rock crab meat, asparagus, avocado, masago mayo, spicy sauce, sesame seeds wrapped outside with salmon, topped with wasabi tobiko and ikura
Yeah. All in one sitting... not so healthy anymore, is it? I’m getting hungry thinking about it...

1 comment:

Lou's sister said...

I can relate to this posting, Lou. I have a problem with sweets. I love sweets. So I decided to give them up for Lent. Remember Lent, Lou? The 40-day time period that recognizes the events that occurred before and during the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Also known as an excuse to stick to a diet.

Anyway, so I gave up sweets – all sweets – the candy bowl in my department, dessert, popsicles, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Worried that I would find substitutes for these sweets I decided it would be best if I also gave up potential “replacements” including: peanut butter, toast w/ jam, waffles/pancakes w/ syrup, coffee with Splenda, and other sugar substitutes (minus the occasional stick of gum). The only exception would be Gatorade. Unless I started to go “crazy” with it.

So it sounds like I’ve covered everything, right? Of course not. I’m now replacing sweets with the following: 1. Homemade popcorn w/ a half stick of butter – thank you Giada DE’Laurentiis. 2. Veggie burgers w/ extra honey mustard. 3. Apple Martinis, Wine, and Shirley Temples with extra grenadine shot of vanilla flavored vodka. Luckily I’m kind of a loser and I’ve only had to deal with the alcohol part two times in the last two weeks.