Wednesday, June 06, 2007

On Glue: Part II

In the Crunch locker room, I unpacked the contents of my gym bag: sports bra, tank top, capris, socks, and the virgin Sauconys. I picked up one of the shoes and momentarily surveyed the bright whiteness and yellow detail. Holding it up to my face, I stuck my nose directly into the opening. I breathed deep and then looked at @.

“It’s last time they will ever smell like new car,” I said and held the shoe out to her.

She hesitated, glancing around the locker room to see who, if anyone, was watching her co-worker sniff a running shoe. Reluctantly, @ accepted.

“Yeah,” she agreed as she put her nose to the side of the Saucony before handing it back. I sat down on the bench in front of my locker, slipped on the pristine shoes, and laced up.

Like running on a mothafukin cloud…

1 comment:

JenKneeBee said...

new running shoes. there're not many things better than that. sigh...