Sunday, August 12, 2007

All Things Considered

Well, obviously we -- collectively, me and you and everyone we know -- did not light enough candles or whatever it is you do to get the weather gods to cooperate. Bummer.

It became apparent over the last few days that it was going to be hot... and humid... and hot... for today's Chicago Distance Classic Half Marathon. It was actually storming at 4:15am when I rolled out of bed, but the thunder and lightning quickly stopped, and it seemed as though the rain had cooled things off a bit. We (Meg and I) figured that if it sprinkled a little during the race, that might not be so bad.

So, all in all, at 6am, we thought we had cheated weather fate and that, for a moment (that moment lasting approximately two and half hours), it would stay cool, breezy, and all together lovely.

No such luck.

We ended up with blistering sun, high humidity, and temperatures that had to be topping out in the 80s. It was rough. It was even rougher when the race organizers ran out of Gatorade and cups at the Mile 7 aid station.... and at the Mile 8 aid station.

I knew that, all things considered, 2:38 should have been a conservative estimate, and on a great day, I had a chance of finishing somewhere between 2:30 and 2:35.

This was not a great day. This was a killer. But, I was only a minute off -- still a solid 10 minutes faster than last year -- and finished at 2:39:41.

Could have been worse.

The aftermath: Meg and I at breakfast. Woo Hoo! Let's eat.

Another medal. I like medals. They suit me.

What, you ask, is next for Lou? Well I plan to spend the rest of today attempting not to vomit, and then... The Chicago Marathon. And though I am currently questioning this choice... it is official. I'm in.

What have I done?

5 comments:

L Sass said...

Yeah! Congratulations! I'm sorry you had such disappointing weather... I tried to send you the good weather I had last week for my half, but no such luck.

The one good thing about these humid runs is that as soon as fall sets in, running is suddenly easier and faster.

I'll be thinking of you October 7 as I run up in Minneapolis / St. Paul!

Kendra said...

Congrats Lou! The concept of running that far still baffles me, but your dedication is impressive and inspiring!

heidikins said...

Congrats!! Boo on the weather, but congrats on the race! Anyone who can run marathon-like races (half, full, tri, whatever) is heroic in my book.

xox

@ said...

You and meghan both appear to be glowing in that picture. It seems that 13.1 miles really agrees with you.

Nikkie said...

I was tracking your progress from Michigan and when your final time popped up I had a little tear in my eye. Little Lou, struggling with me last year, has finally become a running goddess. Hopefully your running prowess will rub off on me so I can get back into the swing of things!