Thursday, October 11, 2007

This Life

Meg and I ran tonight – the first time since Sunday for me. Considering that I had been sustaining life on a diet of Combos and Reeses Pieces, it was quite a surprise when a 20 minute run easily turned into a 40 minute run. Running lust, consider yourself rekindled.

And besides, we had some things to discuss…

Meg was right when she insisted that we should wait a few days to sign up for the Columbus Marathon on Tuesday. As the week went on, emotions rebalanced, and the idea of life returning to normal – moving on from the marathon – began to seem appealing. I realized I was ready to call the 2007 race season.

The truth is there are lots of truths. My knee injury as well as my absence from the 20 mile training run left me feeling unprepared for the marathon. While I have no doubt I would have finished the race (given the opportunity) with each passing day, I feel more unsure about toeing the line a second time around.

Financially, the cost to fly into Columbus and enter the race is around $300. Not out of the realm of affordable, but a voice in the back of my mind keeps thinking that this cash-ola could be used toward something else. Perhaps something… warmer.

And really, I’m ready to focus on some new challenges.

This season taught me a lot about the life I plan to lead. I picked up running for no particular reason nearly two years ago. I ran my first race – an 8K – not knowing if I actually was capable of running more than 25 minutes. I signed up for half marathon training on a whim, after I swore I didn’t understand why anyone would want to run farther than five miles. Even this year, I waited until the very last second to decide that I would show up – no promises – the first day of half marathon training. I decided midway through the season that I would keep going and set my sights on the marathon.

This season taught me that these physical challenges are way more important to me than Friday night happy hour (blasphemy!), and in this life, I see no limits – there is always another race, another opportunity to push one’s limits, another chance to get better, stronger, faster, and another reason for me to consider myself a bad ass.

Sunday was heartbreaking and difficult to accept. But this year's Chicago Marathon made history, and I was a part of that. It may not have been 26.2, but it's still one hell of a story. And ultimately, right now in my world, one canceled marathon is just that: one canceled marathon. There will be other races, and I do not doubt… for me, there will be other marathons.

2 comments:

L Sass said...

I'm glad that you're feeling better about the running / marathoning.

Twin Cities just sent me a follow up email that included stories about the race, tapering off tips and "Tips to Deal with Post Marathon Sadness (PMS) and Depression."

I thought, "I'm not the only one??"

Just got to focus on the next race.

heidikins said...

Good for you, keep the challenges going!

xox