Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Filed Under Nostalgia

Lou is always finding new ways to waste time (specifically, at work).
Feministing is my new bible. This week, it gave me this post: BSC and SVH: OMG!

Which led me to this blog: BSC Headquarters

Which is dedicated to blogging out the Baby-Sitter’s Club series. OMG is right. I’ve been reading for an hour now, tripping down memory lane, and LOL-ing at the lame character references:
  • Claudia is the artsy one who’s clothes are crazy with a Kapital K.
  • Stacey is the sophisticated New Yorker with diabeties (she’s also really skinny – see the shit that sticks with me?)
  • Dawn is the cool California girl. She does her own thing ‘cause she’s an individual… from California.
  • Kristy is the bitchy tomboy (hate, hate, hate the word “tomboy”)
  • Mary Anne is the pushover.
  • Jesse is the dancer. (OK. I don't really remember her.)
  • Mallory’s parents don’t believe in birth control, so she’s basically a surrogate mother to her 40 some odd younger siblings. (OK. I don't really remember this one either.)
And they’re all like… 11 or something.

The series, which I read almost religiously, made babysitting seem oh-so-awesome, which is a completely and utterly misleading. After I babysat a handful of times as a pre-teen, I realized that the only thing babysitting provided was a socially acceptable excuse for a 14-year-old girl to play with dolls... and like $2 an hour (Hello! Minimum wage anyone?).

I heart the Internet. What on earth did people read before blogs existed?

1 comment:

L Sass said...

I tried really hard to start my own Babysitter's Club. We called it Sunny Sitters. We got a few jobs, but it never really took off. Probably because we were all kind of not-really-Tomboy, not-really-pushover, not-really Sophisticated, not-really-outlandishly-dressing-Japanese girls from Minnesota!