Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Out With Old

My food "addictions" (see The Watch List) tend to come in pairs: hummus and pita bread, Trader Joe’s Soy-flavored Rice Crackers and crumbled goat cheese, toast and spray butter (Ew, right?). Put Oasis Hummus and a package of pita bread in front of me and it will be gone in an embarrassingly small amount of time. Yeah. You heard me, one sitting. Go ahead; judge me.

But I’ve found that if I take one of the two items and eat it alone or pair it with something else, I can enjoy something I like without going completely overboard. Hence, an entirely new set of snacking options. For example, I now pair hummus with pita chips. I know, this doesn’t sound like a better option. But for some reason, I am able to keep the pita chips in check, whereas a package of soft pita bread, warmed in the microwave is the equivalent of a snacking landmine (a "snack attack" if you will). I can enjoy pita chips in moderation and then put them away.

Anyway, I went to my favorite place in a two block vicinity of my office today: Trader Joe’s. Per usual, I found some exciting new items to try:

• Trader Joe’s Pretzel Slims
• Trader Joe’s Reduced Guilt Pita Chips (Sea Salt variety)
Gnu Foods Flavor and Fiber Chocolate Brownie Bar

I’ve never seen “Gnu” bars before, and after reading the label, I figured it was worth the $1.69 to try it. Most of my readers are well aware of my Go Lean bar fanaticism (see My Latest Obsession) and while some of the initial fascination with the Go Lean bar has worn off, I continue to eat them regularly for breakfast or a pre-workout/mid-afternoon pick-me-up snack. But, while Go Lean bars are organic-ish, they still contain a lot of unidentifiable ingredients (what the hell is Crystalline Fructose or Mechanically Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil?). The Gnu bars say clearly on the front of the label “No High Fructose Corn Syrup” and “No Artificial Anything.” The ingredients list is short and fairly understandable.

So, I'll give them a shot. And without all the unidentifiable ingredients, I’m sure they will taste like crap.

3 comments:

TravelGretta said...

Those pita chips are outstanding. Trader Joe's is my church.

Kendra said...

I want an update on the Gnu bar taste test.

L Sass said...

I love Trader Joe's so so so much. In fact, after I completed my application to Kellogg, I panicked for a moment thinking TJ's didn't exist in the Chicago area! Thank god it does.

I love those Gnu fiber bars! They're delish.

I also really like TJ's 'lightly salted' Cashews, but have to divide them into serving-size packages the minute they come in the house. Otherwise, they're deadly!