Monday, November 26, 2007

There Ya Go

OK. After eating like a maniac for several days, I have decided that I would finally get back on track. First and foremost, I plan to make dinner every night this week. Every night. No excuses. None.

Tonight I made black beans and rice. It's an old recipe from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that I've had since I was in college:

Spicy Black Beans and Rice
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-1/2-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups hot cooked brown or long grain rice

Directions

In a medium saucepan cook 1/2 cup onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Carefully stir in the drained beans, undrained tomatoes, and ground red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

To serve, mound rice on individual plates; make a well in the centers. Spoon black bean mixture into centers. Makes 4 servings.

Tried and true... and easy (which is key).

2 comments:

L Sass said...

Hmm... I feel like I need to give this a shot! I lapse into lots of eating out around the holidays. It's a bad habit!

heidikins said...

Ooooh, I'm trying it!

xox