Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In the Land of 10,000 Dirty Dishes

@, you read my mind. This morning I said, "Lou, you really need to get your 2008 race schedule on your blog." And then I said, "Lou, are you kidding? You have way too much work to do today to be screwing around posting blogs and whatnot."

So anyway, a running update is in order. I realize that. But if we're not running... we're -- all together now -- eating. (You totally thought I was going to say drinking, didn't you?) So we'll start there.

On Tuesday night, MM and I had dinner at my perennial fav, Heartland Cafe, where I abandoned my usual, the Stuffed Quesadilla, for something sans cheese. I tried the BBQ Seitan sandwich. Seitan (pronounced say-tahn, not say-tin), or "wheat meat" (which is fun to say because it sounds a little dirty). Say it. Wheat Meat. Oh yeah. Say it slow. And do that thing... with your eyes.

I'm like five.

Then tonight, cooking for one, I decided it was time to tackle tofu. I had already picked out a recipe from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan, Orange Sesame Tofu with Coconut Lime Basmati Rice. I so fancy. You're impressed. I can tell.

As luck and lack of skill would have it, I burnt the shit out of the rice. See Exhibit A.
Exhibit A. In case you are confused, no, these are not hash browns. This is rice.

So I regrouped, tossed some brown rice into the rice cooker, which is almost nearly foolproof, and set out to meet Meg for a run. When I returned, I put my already been marinatin' in the fridge Orange Sesame Tofu in the oven. Twenty minutes later:
Exhibit B. It's pretty because I put green onions on top of it. The recipe told me to.

Mission. Accomplished. Raise the banner. Stage the photo opp.

Also, just FYI. I don't think me a fabulous photographer, but my camera is particularly f-ed up ever since I went to Europe and fell while walking down some slippery stone steps in Nice, smashing my camera on the down. I apologize for the blurriness, but there ain't nothing I can do about it. Unless, you'd like to send me money to buy a new digital camera. Then I can do something about it. Think about it.

4 comments:

L Sass said...

Yeah, you have to post a running update! Especially because I may be running in Chicago at some point in 2008...

Kendra said...

You failed to mention how the tofu actually tasted.

heidikins.com said...

Ooooh! It does look pretty! Am hungry for lunch now... hmmm...

xox

TravelGretta said...

Isn't "Wheat Meat" Matthew McConaughey's nickname?