Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Evidence to the Contrary

Some [unlucky] people hear me complain about my job almost daily. They encourage me to explore my options, get my resume “out there,” and proactively pursue change. I, despite all the good advice, drag my feet and keep complaining.

Of course there are the obvious reasons for my delay… comfort level with my current job and fear of the unknown… something about the evil you know being leaps and bounds better than the evil you don’t know. Honestly, who really wants to start over? New boss, new responsibilities, new co-workers, new office dynamics, new work space, new commute – sure it could be better, but there’s always a chance it could be a whole lot worse.

But there is another reason, a BIGGER reason. I simply don’t know what to do with the rest of my life. The idea of being a marketing generalist for the next twenty-some-odd years makes me desperate to find a good excuse to permanently quit the workforce. Why leave one job in marketing for another job in marketing that will just solidify (again) that this is not the field for me?

And so I do nothing, wavering between two potential options: going back to graduate school to get a degree in nutrition, or pursuing a career as a writer -- copy writer, grant writer, staff writer, writer writer, fulltime blogger (the dream!). After months of researching one option, I decide that the other option is what I really want to do. And then back again.

I’m starting to feel like a dog that chases its tail for a few months, then stops for a few seconds, only to start again, but now it’s chasing its tale the other way.

Statistics suggest that many of us will change careers upwards of five times. Does this provide an argument then to just go for it? Pick an option, give it a shot, if you don’t like it, you can simply try something new. But logic creeps in, and phrases like “pay cut” and “student loans” bounce around my brain making it nearly impossible to justify a rash change in career.

And so I do nothing, but waver between two options, drag my feet, bide my time, complain, and do my best to figure out the path that will provide happiness.

3 comments:

L Sass said...

Ugh... I hate decisions like this (see: it taking me 3 years to finally apply to grad school!).

Also, part of my current job entails grant writing, and you don't want to do that. Trust me!

Other than that, I am useless!

heidikins said...

I'm part of the "change careers without actually wanting to" sector of society...and for me it's been worse, so far. Perhaps in another 6 months something will get better, but for now I really wish I had been able to camp-out in my old career. Sigh.

xox

Lou's Sister said...

Thought you might find this interesting:
http://shiftingcareers.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/a-zagat-style-approach-to-your-career/?scp=1-b&sq=Zagat&st=nyt