Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Beat Goes On

I know... You’re all sitting there wondering one and/or several of the following: Does Lou cook any more? What’s she making these days? Is she still eating that vegan crap? Why on earth do I read her blog? Don’t I have real work to do?

The answers: yes, stuff, yes, I don’t know, and does it matter?

On Sunday, MM picked up the little black book of crazy, A Way Out: Disease Deception and the Truth About Health, and started reading. He asked me to leave it there when I left Monday morning. I obliged as per my usual giving nature, and newly freed from the Matthew Grace Casa de Loony, moved on to some kinder, gentler vegan propaganda. Propaganda for those of us who like to curl up with a big bowl of animal product-free soup that’s been heated above 104 degrees.

Amen.

Speaking of soup, I am like in love with this chick. Isa Chandra Moskowitz is the puke-inspired, way-too-cool-to-be-my-friend, vegan cookbook author extraordinaire who wrote Veganomicon (with Terry Romero, who doesn’t have a Wikipedia page, but I’d date her too) and Vegan with a Vengeance, which is the newest addition to my ever-growing vegan cookbook collection.

I have a disease people. A vegan cookbook buying disease. I’m like... stage five.

First of all, I know I’ve souped you people to death, but this is the latest and greatest. On Monday night, MM and I made Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon, and it was fanfuckingtastic. Like that? It’s called an infix. Look it up. I've been eating the soup now for three days, and though it kind of resembles sludge, it still tastes unfreakingbelievable. Just close your eyes. Imagine puppies.

This morning, while MM and I were riding the bus, we paged through Vegan with a Vengeance (I know, doesn’t the mental image of that scene just make you want to vomit) until we decided that tonight’s dinner will be Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy.

Stewed whaaaaaat? And potatoes with gravy whaaaaaat?

We expect new and different, but just so I don’t lead us completely astray, I figured I would check out what the ever-trusty Internets are saying about this recipe. So I typed it into Google:

“Stewed Tofu” “Potatoes in Miso Gravy”

And like seriously, this recipe is on FIRE. Fire my people. VegsSource, which is apparently a Web site, includes a review of the cookbook by some dude and he called the recipe, “One of my two favorites in the book...” Shellyfish, of Musings From The Fishbowl, wrote that she was “dazzled, simply dazzled.” And finally, the writers over at Iron Chef Vegan hailed the recipe, “Awesome.”

Risky in my use of "hail," wasn't I? Some might even call it punk. Because it was ironic.

Well hell... that's all I need to hear. I am SOLD. Hopefully my lack of skillz won't lead to disaster in the kitchen tonight.

No comments: