Sunday, March 30, 2008

Contrary to Popular Belief

I would have rather titled this post "Fuck Yeah," but that just seemed a bit crass.

So here's what: I spent the entire week in Minneapolis hanging out with librarians and eating my face off. I spent the better part of Saturday sitting in Minneapolis-St. Paul airport hanging out with librarians and trying not to cry when the earlier United flight called out two names on the stand-by list and I wasn't one of them. (My boss actually was put on the earlier flight which made me all the more bitter; I had put my name on the stand-by list 10 hours earlier, he just had more frequent flier miles. In my opinion, that's just not the way we do things in America. This is a nation of first-come, first-served. Fucking United commie douchebags.)

I was so pathetic after the whole stand-by ordeal that MM again offered to come pick me up at the airport, and I finally accepted. He's a good boyfriend. He picked up my race packet for the Shamrock Shuffle 8K too.

But he's still a dude. And sometimes dude's just say things that are... wrong.

When I asked him at dinner about the free shirt that comes standard with every race, he mentioned that the women's shirt looked like it was sized very small. He expressed concern that it might not fit. And since I was acutely aware of my week of eating like each meal might be my last, I nearly started crying. In the restaurant. Sure, let's be honest, I have a larger than average chest, but it wasn't something I could handle hearing at that moment... or ever.

So, despite the physical exhaustion and obvious emotional overload, after a night of dreams about stuffing Paula Poundstone books into Queens Library bags (don't ask), MM and I got up and opened race day with the rest of country -- they were all there -- at the Shamrock Shuffle.

The Shuffle has become an annoying crowded race, and I'll admit... I threw a few elbows out there on the course. But, the good part, the great part, is that this is my anniversary. I ran my inaugural Shamrock Shuffle in 2006. It was my first race ever. At the time, I didn't realize that it really was just the beginning. And in 2008, my time was nearly 10 minutes faster than it was two years ago.

Like I said. Fuck Yeah.

5 comments:

Lindy said...

Hey Speedy! Nice job! Sorry we couldn't run together, though you would have left me in the dust. I was just emailing Meg and saying that it seemed to be a lot more crowded than last year, but I'm not sure. I had a few "feet under the heel" moments with runners.

1 month til Cincy. UGH. What the hell have I gotten myself into?!?! I do hope you and Meg can muster up some energy from somewhere and run the last mile of the marathon with me. :( Say you will, humor me.

Jaime said...

Congrats Lou!!! that is super fast!!!

Roisin said...

Sorry I missed you at the Shuffle. I took full advantage of having Ernst & Young peeps for friends and stored my stuff at the Pritzker Pavillion. I also ate & drank there, and pretended to be interested in March madness.

When are we going to lunch again?

@ said...

dang, girl.

L Sass said...

Congrats on the PR!!! Maybe I will be running it next year...

I feel very sad that MSP did not treat you in a kind and loving fashion. Shame on you, hometown!