Tuesday, March 25, 2008

One is the Loneliest Number

So maybe I’m not one of those fancy “consultants” who travels constantly to exotic locations -- like Boise or Wilmington -- but I’ve done a fair amount of business travel in my day. And, despite the glamorous, jet-set image portrayed by people who want to impress a group of college students in an advertising club, in my opinion, business travel has few virtues.

True, it’s partially my fault; I am not one to take advantage of my plight and fill the few precious hours I have to myself with sightseeing or shopping. I don’t deny my lack of adventure-seeking when I’m on the rode for business. Instead, I search for comfort, which I believe is found in a hotel room that has two beds -- one for sleeping and one for eating.

The “Eating Bed,” as I have so cleverly dubbed it, is the ultimate in business travel luxury. Seriously, I implore you to give this a shot. If you are requesting king sized beds while on business trips because you think you’re going to sleep diagonally, you are missing out on one of the business trip's greatest pleasures: making up an excuse as to why you can’t eat with your co-workers, ordering room service, turning a decent-sized television with a basic cable to some crappy show you wouldn’t dare watch at home, and chowing down in the eating bed.

And the best part is that you have a completely separate bed where you can sleep. It’s genius. It’s perfection in its simplicity.

5 comments:

@ said...

Basically, I'll never get cable in my apartment, because that would make the few times a year that I get to watch "What Not To Wear" slightly less sweet. When traveling for work, it's really all I have.

Kendra said...

I guess I've never stayed at these fancy hotels with room service. Unless you count Pizza Hut delivery

L Sass said...

I need an eating bed in my own apartment! Genius.

Lou said...

If you're eating it in bed, it totally counts.

Roisin said...

I knew I should have requested two doubles.

But, I really am sleeping diagonally.