Monday, April 14, 2008

If At First

In the great tradition of crazy, I have signed up for my first triathlon, and -- I have to admit -- I am super excited. For me, this seemed like a quick decision, from obsession to research to registration, but I did it, and all the parts and pieces are in order.

On Saturday, after finding the Dick’s Sporting Goods gift certificate my dad gave me for Christmas (in a laundry basket no less), MM and I went for a run (on the treadmill -- I did a little more than seven miles and nearly collapsed -- no good at all) then drove to the suburbs so I could outfit myself for triathlon training. I bought a bike helmet, a swim cap, goggles, and a bathing suit -- a black Speedo because I’m serious about this shit.

When we finally walked into my apartment at 6pm, I said, “Well, I guess all that’s left to do is register…” And I did it. Right then and there.

So it’s official, I’m registered to participate in the Danskin Triathlon in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin on July 13 -- that’s a .5 mile swim, a 12.4 mile bike ride, and a 3.1 mile run. I start training right after the Flying Pig Half Marathon.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Congrats!!!!

L Sass said...

Woohoo!! My dad and I were thinking of doing one in Lake Zurich (sprint distance for me; Olympic for him), but it's the same weekend I move. So, not this year.

Lindy said...

awesome!!!!! for a second there i thought, 'maybe i'll sign up too', and then i remembered that i really don't want to swim for 50 feet, let alone .5 mile. but YAY for LOU!!!

Roisin said...

I'm clapping, and I bet you can hear me doing so from your space on the 4th floor.

RBR said...

How exciting! You don't know me, but I do a little blog stalking here and there. I am a friend of Lindy's and I do triathlons. Ok, DO triathlons is a little strong. I have done a few triathlons and am currently training for three in May,June, and Sept.

Rock on! Have fun!