Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wind in My Uncombed Hair

I have this theory about wearing makeup. Basically if people don’t ever see you wear it and then they do, everyone will think that you look fanfuckingtastic. True story. People are always shocked when they see me dressed up and wearing make up. This is of course coming from the woman who can barely convince herself it’s worth combing her hair for her coworkers.

But that’s another story.

So last night, after a quick two mile run with Meg, MM and I scratched are original plan and rode our bikes to a new sushi restaurant in the neighborhood. In an effort to get him to stop ordering food, I said, “Let’s go to Treats!” He wholeheartedly agreed, and off on our bikes we went to Lakeview for almost fat free without the toppings (I totally got toppings) frozen yogurt. I only had to yell at him like twice to slow down and stop weaving in and out of traffic. I mean, come on MM! I’m a newbie!

By the time we finally made it back to my apartment, it was well past 9 p.m.

Despite my fear that riding in Chicago traffic would be akin to a suicide mission, I found that it’s really not so bad. We even rode through Cubs game traffic -- drunk people, cars, buses, cops, crazies -- and managed not to run into peril.

This morning I woke up and thought, “This is it. Today is the day I ride to work.” And I did. It took me 45 minutes -- quicker than the bus and about the same as the train. I wore my heart rate monitor and burned almost 400 calories. Nice. A workout and transportation!

2 comments:

Roisin said...

I went to Treats on Sunday! And got toppings too.

Congrats on burning calories on the way to ALA...I try to convince myself that glowering at irritating riders burns calories as well.

L Sass said...

Wait, wait, wait? Frozen yogurt? Are you off the vegan plan now?