Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Miles of Stones

Yesterday, I began triathlon training. My first workout called for 300 meters of swimming and 15 minutes of running. No problemo, am I right? Well…

I told MM about my Tuesday training plans, and he immediately responded, “I’ll swim with you.”

I’m sorry. What? That’s not part of the plan. The plan is to swim alone so that you never, ever, ever see me in a swimsuit. You being MM of course. Others are decided on a case by case basis.

Yes, I understand the absurdity of my reaction. Yes, we’ve been dating a while and have seen each other in at least a little less than bathing suits, but seriously, let me reiterate… he wanted to hang out with me while I was wearing a swimsuit.

Does anyone else think they look better naked than in a swimming suit?

OK. Fine. Come to the pool with me. Whatever. But you’re not aloud to look at me. Or talk to me. Or even pretend like you may recognize me from sometime in the distant past.

My coworker told me, “I’ll pray for you.” Swear to gawd.

Anyway, the scene was not as horrific as I expected. MM and I swam together and it went well enough. We shared a lane and only almost ran into each other like three times. And, I might just be a better swimmer than him, which is awesome for the obvious reasons. Did I fail to mention those formative years I spent on swim team? Sure, I was like 10, but I was good.

In other news, I’ve tried to refocus my eating habits for my break from distance running. As many of you know, it’s very hard to lose weight and train for things like marathons because dammit, I’m hungry. I have decided that my 10 weeks of sprint triathlon training will also coincide with an attempt to lose approximately 13 pounds.

Additionally, I think I’ve decided to stop attempting to eat vegan and just go back to tried and true portion control, WeightWatchers-style. Today, I was in Trader Joe’s and was all in my head like, “Remember Go Lean bars, Lou? You love those, and they were satisfying and not terrible for you.” So whatever.

This doesn't mean I won’t eat vegan from time to time or even often, but honestly, I think I’ve burned myself out on my ability to think about it. This also does not mean that I’m going to go all carnivorous on your asses either. I’ve really never been a big fan of meat, which is one of the reasons I decided to try eating this way in the first place. But, being that there are many ethical reasons for eating vegan, I do not want to pass myself off as dedicated to eating a certain way that I am not actually eating. Also, I am really glad that I took myself off of dairy for awhile, it seems to have cleared up some skin issues I was having in late 2007. I will probably continue to not drink milk, and go light on the cheese and eggs at home.

Hopefully, I will start posting some new recipes soon, less because you want recipes, and more because I need to start cooking again… but I think last night MM and I finally broke our “What should we eat?” rut. We’ve been eating out a lot simply because we’ve been busy and exhausted and traveling and [insert other good excuses]. Last night as rode our bikes home from the gym (the scene of the infamous bathing suit sighting), we again started debating about where to eat. I kept saying, “I have pasta at home,” and he kept saying, “I’ll take you out.” Finally, in a moment of complete, uncalled for pissy-ness, I said something along the lines of, “Fine, I guess I’m just never going to be able to lose weight because you want to eat out all the time.” I don’t know. I’m fucking crazy sometimes.

Anyway, we made spaghetti, salads, and some other fixings, and he was glad that we finally broke the cycle of going out to eat. We do really enjoy cooking together, but we just haven’t done it in a long time. Romance, consider yourself rekindled.

OK… so maybe that’s not really “romance.” Whatever. I’m going to stop talking now.

4 comments:

Roisin said...

I fully intend to be fully clothed on the beach in Ecuador. Nothing is worse than my pasty legs and spandex. And water.

L Sass said...

Naked is MUCH better than swimsuit. The swimsuit be all drawing horizontal lines across your body (even a one-piece)!

Maybe you just need to find a naked gym?

I Heard Tell said...

Maybe I'm just weird, but planning, cooking and eating a meal together at home is my idea of romance.

RBR said...

Swimsuits cause this to, um, squish out. If you know what I mean, so yeah, I hear you on the HATE being in a swimsuit thing.

I actually have one of those granny suits with the shorts. Still not a great look, but I feel a little better in it.

Go you on the triathlon training! Very exciting! Can't wait to read about the journey.

Thank you so much for your encouragement on my blog. It really helps when I feel like an ass for even thinking I can attempt this. Sometimes some kind words can really help bolster your confidence.