Thursday, June 12, 2008

Absenteeism

I know. I’ve been a bad blogger (Sit. Write.). Sadly, no one seems to actually care because the two or three people who are usually kind enough to bring my slacking to my attention haven’t muttered a word that it’s been nearly a week since I last posted.

Perhaps everyone stopped reading… hmmm?

Well… um… Nobody… there’s been a lot going on: work is airing on the side of crazy; MM did the first (of probably a couple) major move of his stuff into my apartment this week; and I started running again and began fitting in all my training with two-a-day workouts. I know. It’s wild ‘round these parts.

But, first I have some news. It’s not good news. So don’t get excited.

Last night trusty running buddy Meg picked me up from work so she and I could get some strength training in at the gym before we met trusty running friend Lindy for dinner.

Lou: Meg, I’ve been meaning to ask you something. And, I’m afraid that this is going to sound selfish and not very sensitive, and I don’t want to upset you. But I’m not really sure what to do… You know… you cameo on my blog quite a bit and training is about to start. And… well, I didn’t want to write anything until I got the OK from you.

Meg: You can write about it. I appreciate that you asked me first.

So, here’s the deal. A few weeks ago, Meg slipped and hurt her knee. A week later she found out that she tore her ACL. She’s having surgery in about two weeks. So marathon training is kinda out of the question.

This is all very upsetting and unexpected. She has been running for years, and has encountered several setbacks to the marathon along the way -- up to and including last year’s Chicago debacle. It sucks. It just really sucks.

The thing is… I don’t really know how to write about this. I feel like I’m doing it all wrong. It’s not about me, and I understand that, but at the same time, I feel like, “Shit, I’m all alone.” The Saturday morning long runs that go by in the blink of an eye due to our stories that blend seamlessly into new stories… it’s not going to be the same. It’s weird, ya know? In some ways, it doesn’t feel “real” yet -- to me anyway. I mean, she and I are still going to the gym together and lifting weights and swimming. The group runs don’t start until Saturday. Everything -- again, to me -- seems normal. But I know. And it will hit me soon enough.

I’m doing my best not to moan about my aloneness because it’s not me who has to go through surgery. Or who has to recover. I’m trying to stay positive and focus on some fun stuff: breakfast dates on Saturday mornings, being a cheerleader for her newfound “like” of swimming (this, of course, is part of my evil plan to get her to train for a triathlon with me next summer), possibly entering the New York City Marathon lottery in 2010… things like that.

So that’s The News… part one. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Lindy said...

Well I noticed, but since we've been emailing this week, I didn't say anything.

I don't consider your wishing you weren't running alone as selfish. Moreso, it speaks highly of the awesomeness that(who?) is Meg.

And though you won't find another Meg to run with you at CARA, surely they'll be someone you can at least chat with...if I can find people like that in my small group, surely you'll find someone in the 150 or so people in your pace group. ;) (Sorry for the dig at the annoyingly large CARA pace groups.)

Roisin said...

I apologize for the lack of commenting...I was in Ecuador!

Anyway, I heart Meg and wish her a speedy recovery. If you ever need a buddy to run with during the week, I'd be glad to volunteer my humble self.

I Heard Tell said...

That is sad news. I understand your feeling that it effects you more than you'd think people might understand. My boyfriend is a triathlete and got hit by a car while riding his bike last year. During his long recovery, I have often felt frustrated that we can't cheer each other on and work out together, but I also feel guilty that I can do things and he can't, especially now that it's beautiful outside-- and though I know it's worse for him than for me, it's a difficult situation for both parties. Hang in there!

Jaime said...

Your not being selfish.

And I want to come to a running dinner!!!

L Sass said...

Poor Meg! I hope she has a speedy recovery.

My main running buddy had a knee injury for the first four months of this year and it SUCKED for me. So I definitely understand the selfish angle. The accountability and support is SO important.

Post-August, I'd love to come do some long runs with you. I won't be training up to marathon length, but I could do a stint to break up those 16-20 milers!

RBR said...

Hey, I went through the same thing when my run buddy went to walk/run and then pretty much stopped running altogether for the last 6 months. Now she tells me she wants to turn into a walker. I feel your pain.

I have had to learn to run by myself. It is one of the reasons I do so many races. It gives me motivation to do the longer runs.

I am sure you will find someone fun to run with in your marathon group.