Saturday, June 21, 2008

Calm Before Storm

Do you have a personal motto? I decided today that mine should be:
When the going gets tough,
The tough walk straight to their local grocery store,
Buy a pint of Chubby Hubby,
And eat it in its entirety, alone, while watching Food Network.

Is that a motto? Or a short story… of my life?

Classic stress eater = me.

So, here’s the buzz, here’s what’s a happening… this week, MM and I went on our first “vacation” together. Sure, we’ve been on trips together. We flew to Columbus last fall to spend Thanksgiving with my family. And, we drove to Cincinnati with D to run the Flying Pig in May. But this was our first, all by ourselves, trip for the sake of relaxation, vacation together. We went to a bed and breakfast in Michigan... for two days. Cause that’s all the time we had.

We stayed at the brand spanking new Rabbit Run Inn, which was quiet and perfect and well decorated (none of that frilly, country crap) and oh-so-comfortable. That said, this is admittedly my first time at a B&B. But, the few fears I had surrounding the concept were that the owners would be... ummm... quirky... and I would feel awkward thinking that we didn't have privacy from their... ummm... quirkiness were way off... the owner was very nice, helpful, and not at all intrusive.

On the first day, we had lunch at a restaurant which shares the same last name as MM. It was kind of a bar-food-with-a-twist type place, and surprisingly, really good (and really well-portioned). Then, we took the Inn’s bicycles out for a spin and checked out the beach.

MM really wanted to ride the lime green polka dot cruiser,
but I refused to give it up.


After our bike ride, we went back to the Inn, relaxed, and had a glass of wine on the private porch off of our room before heading out to dinner at a restaurant known less for the food and more for the view.

Sunset. The view from our table at dinner.

On day two, we shunned alarms and slept in until all of 8:30am. After making our own coffee and tea, we tried out the scones and muffins the owners left for us on our doorstep. Then we went out for a leisurely hour long run through Warren Dunes State Park, or as I like to think of it, the “other side” of Lake Michigan.

During our run MM decided to climb up this dune.
I sat on a park bench and waited.

We had lunch at a little cafĂ© called, “Luisa’s.” And yes, we are lame enough to think it was awesome that there were two restaurants in town that shared our names.

So what if it's not spelled the same?

For those of you who don't know... MM is a police officer. Am I aloud to say that?
He purchased a donut from the Swedish bakery.
When I said, "I'm really not a big fan of donuts," he responded with,
"I'm a cop, it's a requirement," which I thought was really funny.

We were lucky enough to pick the two most perfect days to spend in Michigan, and on day two it was sunny, cloudless, and the temperature reached the mid-80s. Without question, we would be spending the afternoon at the beach. Now here’s the thing about me… I’m a water baby. Good swimmer or not, I love the water. I was the girl in high school who still wanted to get in the pool rather than lay on the edge flipping from my front side to my backside. Tanning = bad.

The "other side" of Lake Michigan.

MM, I found out, is a major scaredy cat when it comes to cold lake water. He obviously was not jumping into Lake Superior in 60 degree weather when he was a kid. I had to BEG him to get in the water with me. He did. He was not happy about it. Instead, he fell asleep on the sand.

After the beach, we went back to our room and changed for dinner. We went all out, fancy-like, and ate at the Tabor Hill Winery, which was fantastic.

And easy on the eyes too.

We returned to the Inn, and ended our evening sitting outside in the gazebo.

After sleeping in the next day, we left Michigan for Chicago. With the time change, we made it back to the city before noon. And then, in stark contrast to our two days of total relaxation, we drove to MM’s condo and packed everything. The initial plan was to pack up the kitchen, but we were on a roll and pretty much finished the job. We didn’t get back to my apartment until 9:45pm. And now I'm stress case central thinking about moving his boxes, subletting my apartment, finding a new apartment for MM and I, going to Anaheim next week for a conference...

More on that later...

6 comments:

heidikins said...

I love that last photo!! So adorable! I'm glad you had a blast in Michigan, and I really hope the storm-thing passes quickly and without major nerve damage!

xox

Lindy said...

AWWWWWWWWWWW! nice vacay over there on the other side of Lake Michigan.

L Sass said...

What a nice little trip!! You two make such a cute couple.

I also love Chubby Hubby the best.

Ps, You are fabulous, smart, and drop dead gorgeous.

Kendra said...

Love the pictures! It sounds like a great mini-vacation.

anastasia said...

So that's where you've been all week! Glad you two had a good time. I'd expect no less from you than to seek out a restaurant named for yourself... BTW, my brother is going to a conference in Anaheim next week... could it be the same one??

Jaime said...

you look beautiful in that picture.

Don't stress too much