Monday, June 16, 2008

In Circles

The open water swim yesterday went well. I decided to wear MM’s tri suit, which is a onesie type outfit made to dry quickly and be used for the entire triathlon. That’s right. You swim in it; you bike in it; and you run in it. It also has a padded ass. I wore a regular sports bra underneath it, and nothing else.

FYI… I went to check out “tri bras” at Fleet Feet – the equivalent of a sports bra made specifically for triathlons (they dry faster). The owner of the store, a dude, took one look at me and said, in the least creepiest way possible, “I am looking into your eyes when I tell you this. You will want to wear a regular sports bra. Tri bras provide minimal support.”

Oh.

Ohhhhhh.

Yes. The trials and tribulations of having a larger chest.

Despite the fact that it was probably only in the mid-70s yesterday at 11am, the water was not extremely cold. The clinic people put us in the lake immediately, and split us into beginner, intermediate, and those who had been in the clinic before. I went with intermediate. We did some drills. They talked. We did some more drills.

The most jarring part of the clinic was having to swim with about twenty women and a couple dudes packed in around me. My biggest fear in the open swim is getting kicked in the face and having my nose broken as a result. Similarly, this is the reason I don’t want to play volleyball on the beach –- the possibility of a broken nose. And this was only 20 some odd people. There will be 5000 at Danskin, and approximately 1500 in the water at any given time.

The other difficult part is this sighting business, where you have to lift your head up to look around and make sure you’re heading in the right direction. It’s just awkward and tends to throw off my stroke. And, a lot of times, I simply forgot to do it. Luckily, I don’t seem to be veering wildly off course, but I do favor my right side a bit, so I will have to sight and correct for that.

They also showed us the Danskin course – you swim from one end of the lake to the other, a straight(ish) line, and for whatever reason, I didn’t think it looked so bad.

Finally, they had us all sprint into the water and do a simulated race course, which was about 250 meters. I was fifth out of the water. Nice.

I also had a chance to ask a couple of questions. Do people ever get their noses broken from being kicked in the face? They had only heard of that happening once. Second, at Danskin, once you’re out in the middle of the course, does it thin out and you have some room? They laughed at me. Apparently the answer to that is, “Um. No.”

Overall, it was – without a doubt – a good decision to attend the clinic. I’m sure I will be scared jumping in the water with all those women (particularly the ones who do not know how to swim), but I loved getting in the lake! And, I feel confident I can make it to the other side.

On a less positive note, I am going to get my foot checked out in about an hour or so. I think I broke my pinky (baby?) toe last night. I stubbed it walking into my bathroom. I immediately said to MM, “I think I broke my toe.” He replied, “You didn’t break your toe.” I woke up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom and noticed that it still hurt. When MM left at 4:45am, I managed to tell him again, in my half-asleep state, that I think I broke my toe. Once I got up at 7:30am (I am so freaking tired), it still hurt and was obviously swollen.

According to the Internets, there’s basically not a whole lot they can do – in many cases they can’t tell you if it’s a break or just a sprain. If I wasn’t training, I probably wouldn’t have even made the appointment, but I need to know what I should do so I can keep running. I can’t even believe this. Anyway, send some positive thoughts my way.

6 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm glad the swim went well and you weren't eaten by the fishes. That would be my biggest fear.

Lindy said...

:( Hope your toe is better soon.

@ said...

PINKYSTRONG

L Sass said...

Ouch! Toe injuries are the worst.

When I think about trying a Tri, I am also nervous about open water swimming. If I decide to do one, I'll have to do a clinic!

RBR said...

Such a rockstar swimmer.I am still a big freak and I have done several ope n water swims.

God, I hope you didn't break your damn toe! I have done it several times and they heal quite fast, but I have never done it since I have been running, so I don't know about that.

Roisin said...

Sending positive thoughts! AND...when are we hanging out in Anaheim? Inquiring minds want to know!