Saturday, June 14, 2008

She's All That

It's 9am on Saturday morning, and I've already had breakfast, gone for a six mile run, and had breakfast again all by my lonesome in a neighborhood coffee shop. I ate an everything bagel, read Conscious Choice magazine, and learned about natural fertility options... like you know... if I ever need them or anything. Now I'm sitting on my couch in MM's wetsuit wondering what to do with myself for the next several hours.

Yes. I'm sitting on the couch in a wetsuit. There's a reason for this, but first thing's first... today was my first long run with CARA, the group I will be training with for the marathon. And, I got to be honest folks (you like that?), I went with the hope that I would "spark" with someone... in that running buddy sort of way. Not that I want to replace Meg. I could never do that, but at this point, I think (I hope she feels this way too, or this is going to be a little weird) our friendship goes far beyond running.

To say the least I went with an open mind, hopeful that I would meet a few people with positive energy who would be conversational on the path. No iPod people. Just me. Baring my running soul to the world.

At the very last second, I decided to join the 11 minute mile group when I saw that the 11:30 and 12 minute groups were going to be combined, and as far as I could tell, consisted of about four older gentlemen. Not that I have anything against older gentlemen... it's just not what I had in mind. Heck. No time like the present to give a faster pace a shot.

I sized up the crowd of 11 minute milers. And, truth be told, one of the woman caught my eye right away. Gawd, I sound like a stalker or something... Anyway, as it turned out, that woman was running in front of me next to another woman who promptly put on headphones. I was next to yet another woman who didn't seem too chatty, but after the first half mile or so, I struck up a conversation. We'll call her J, and she was very pleasant. We did the whole, "Is this your first time?" routine, and she mentioned that she wasn't a morning person. I decided to take that as a hint and left her alone.

About two miles in woman with headphones dropped out. At the turnaround point, woman next to me apparently woke up and started chatting a bit more. And, the woman in front of us turned around and chimed in the conversation. We'll call her DB. DB was super friendly, and I got the feeling that like me, she was new and looking for people to make this time together go a lot faster.

Making friends, whether it's for the purpose of running or for the general purpose of getting to know people, gets trickier as you get older. You have to be savvy enough to assess is whether or not the other person is open to friendship -- some people aren't, especially when they have been established in a place for a very long time. I think transplants like yours truly tend to be a little more open to friendship because, at some point, we have been forced as adults to put ourselves out there.

It's really too soon to determine whether or not I've found someone (or a couple people) who will, at the very least, get me through Saturday morning long runs. Those of you who run know how much easier it is to get through two-plus hours of distance with someone by your side who is willing to entertain you with stories and conversation. If I sound desperate, it's because I'm scared to death of running two-plus hours without someone entertaining me. And we're talking about a marathon people! Two-plus hours is nothing compared to five-plus hours!

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Oh yeah. The wetsuit. So, tomorrow is my first open water swim -- that's code for swimming in a lake people -- and I'm a little bit... lost. I have no idea what to wear. I could go in so many directions, I'm becoming nerve-racked, and the decision I make needs to be based on a myriad of factors like weather and comfort level and safety and who knows what else. I wish someone would just say, "Do this." I have too many options right now and not enough knowledge.

Anyway, a few days ago, when he moved his hella large TV into the apartment, MM brought his wetsuit so I could try it out. Wetsuits (as far as I know) are primarily unisex. His is a medium. According to the size chart, I should be wearing a large. This of course, makes me feel bad about myself but whatever. In the interest of cash and time, I decided to make the attempt to stuff myself into his wetsuit.

I have no idea how these things are supposed to fit. I tried the wetsuit on for the first time a few days ago, and for lack of a better description, basically couldn't get the legs pulled up high enough. I figured I was simply too fat. I pulled on it quite a bit, and managed to figure out that if I could somehow loss approximately four inches in the ass-area post haste, the torso would fit just fine. Of course that leaves me about exactly where I started. Confused.

I talked to MM about how much he had to pull on the wetsuit to get it up, and he seemed to think that I need to pull harder, so I gave it another shot today... with some "Suit Juice," a spray that greases up you and your wetsuit for ease of pulling it on and off. Lo and behold, the damn thing fits today. I even tried it on over MM's "padded ass pants" and a sports bra, because this very well could be my tri outfit. I still look like a rubber sausage, but I'm pretty sure there isn't much getting around that, now is there.

So what to do tomorrow? I figure the best course of action is to show up a little early and bring everything I own and could possibly wear -- the wetsuit, my bathing suit, and a tri suit. Hopefully one the clinic instructors will point to the right apparel.

5 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm proud of you for getting up early and attempting to meet new people! Today I slept in instead of going to meet the running group. I got up at 10:30 instead. I should feel bad, but I don't!

Meghan said...

Louisa, two things: first, Andrew and I biked down to the Green City market this morning (left at 7:45 a.m...yeah for early Saturday mornings!). I kept looking for you on the bike path for you. Second, when I lived in Virgina, I used to surf with my boyfriend and actually owned my own wet suit. They aren't unisex, which is good because as women, we need some extra room around our hips and bust! So make sure to get one fit for a woman. I've never used suit juice, but I used to use baby powder to get it on. We should try to meet up this weekend to I can tell you how I think it should fit (and also so you can try out my bike!).

Anastasia said...

I just have to tell you I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did at the image of the rubber sausage. Tears are rolling down my cheeks. I'm glad you can make your trials and tribulations into entertainment for us!

RBR said...

When i first tried mine on, they all said, "Don't worry, no one looks good in a wetsuit." Well, that is a lie, little skinny be-otches that look good in everything, look good in wetsuits. The rest of us..., well, it is better than freezing your ass off in open water.

I hope you had a good swim. I wear my tri shorts and a sports bra under my wetsuit for events and I wear my bathing suit (it looks like a tri-suit with built in shorts, 'cuz that's how I roll. Maximal coverage and all)

L Sass said...

When my dad was first triathloning, my sisters and my mom and I bought him a wetsuit for his birthday. When he tried it on, he could not get it to zip! We took it back to the store and they laughed at us and said, "Uh, you need another ATHLETE to help you get into it." (AKA, not your non-triathloning wife and two teenage daughters.)