Thursday, July 31, 2008

All Sorts of Angst

Such is my life: I’m sitting at a booth in an exhibits hall in the basement of a hotel. I seem to have “misplaced” my work-issued Sprint broadband card that grants me access to my beloved Internet anywhere, anytime, and while I’m so desperate I’d gladly hand over my credit card for a few precious minutes of wireless, alas, this hotel has none.

Of course, if I had access to the Internet, I would probably be reading your blog, rather than writing a post for my own. So, you win. Or maybe you lose. Depends on your perspective.

I know I’ve been a bad blogger the last few days. But wait! I have excuses! Here’s the rundown:

MM and I spent the weekend in Ohio to attend and subsequently celebrate my mom’s wedding. Old people love is beautiful. Also in attendance were my sister and her infamous boyfriend Lars (Just as a side note, for those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Lars, he is very into physics, and he has a “theory,” and it involves something about psychics and when he attempts to explain it to me, I walk away… so I really can’t tell you much about it. Anyway, I think MM has a bit of a man-crush on Lars. MM found an old physics textbook in my mom’s basement and started reading it! Oh because… you know… he doesn’t have enough reading material with the whole graduate school thing. This of course could also relate to my theory, which is that MM secretly desires to be a super genius, and is still a wee bit peeved that he wasn’t a child prodigy of some sort. I think its better this way, but that’s another story. I probably shouldn’t write this stuff on the Internet.) All hearsay people. And speculation. Loads of speculation.

In addition, my mom’s husband’s daughter and her husband and their dog came, as well as my grandma. It was a good crowd -- just the family, a quick ceremony, and then the fun began! First, we had lunch at the Italian restaurant where my mom and new husband had their first date, and we spent the rest of the day at their lake house, hanging out on the pontoon boat, sitting in the grass, grilling out, and jumping on the neighbor’s trampoline, which was the cause of much soreness the following day. It felt like vacation. Good times.

But what I’m really trying to say is that July, despite the fun, has been a crazy month -- first Anaheim, then Danskin in Wisconsin, and finally our trip to Ohio. When we touched down in Chicago late Sunday night, I was all set to refocus my time and energy on marathon training.

Oh right. I have to run a marathon.

I got to tell ya’ll, I am not feeling the marathon training this year. I’m hoping it’s just a slump, and I’ll rebound, but I think a big part of it is that Meg isn’t running with me, and everyone else I know seems to be injured. It’s not so much that I worry about actually running the race by myself; I just don’t want to stand there, at the start line, for 45 minutes freaking out all by my lonesome. What about MM you ask? Oh right. He’ll likely be in a corralled start. Because he’s fast like that.

Anyway, this week I’m trying to get back on track with the training. Let me tell you my ideal workout schedule and then you can tell me I’m nuts. It will be fun. Watch:

Monday: strength training; bike to/from work.

Tuesday: Run 3 miles; Bike to/from work; strength training

Wednesday: Run 5 miles; Bike to/from work

Thursday: Run 3 miles, 90 minutes yoga; Bike to/from work

Friday: easy swim workout; strength training; Bike to/from work

Saturday: Run 13 miles

Sunday: Rest

Actually that looks far less nutty written out than I expected.

So far the strength training has eluded me. Monday was a wash because I needed to clean and cook and get myself in some sort of order for the remainder of the week. Tuesday, I managed to get my run in. Today, I ran 5 miles, but showed up about 45 minutes late to work because of it. It’s actually the first time I’ve done my mid-week, middle distance run. The last several weeks I’ve just skipped it.

I’m feeling overwhelmed quite honestly. Being able to devote the amount of time I want/need to devote to training takes a fair amount of planning and organization. And frankly, I have not have time to plan and organize the rest of my life effectively enough to get up and out of the house and to the gym on time. It’s frustrating. Moreover, every time I think I’ll have a day, an afternoon, a few hours, a minute and a half to just chillax and/or pay some bills or whatever, it gets filled up with things like work and random trips to the suburbs and leasing an apartment and trying to figure out when in the hell we’re going to move. Despite suspicions that I am nonstop kinda gal, I need a lot of couch time. A lot. Of couch time. I get cranky without it. And right now… I’m cranky.

Anywho…

Did I mention MM and I found and signed the lease on a two-bedroom apartment? It has a dishwasher. Dreams can come true. Especially if you don’t shoot to high. That stuff about “the moon” and “the stars.” Bullshit. It’s all about expectations.

Manage them. You know what I’m saying…

6 comments:

Kendra said...

Ahhh a dishwasher. I can't believe you have gone without one for so long. Well, an appliance-style dishwasher, not MM.

Good luck with the 13 miles this Saturday. I'm aiming for 4. Woo!

Lindy said...

Well now you can never go without a dishwasher again. That's what I'm doing now until we rehab the kitchen. And it sucks.

Now don't go not blogging for another 8 days. That's cruel.

Roisin said...

1. I've missed you.

2. Lindy's correct...now that you have the dishwasher, you'll never be able to go without it.

lou's mom said...

Old people love? I thought I was middle age, thanks for bursting my bubble.

Please respond to the e-mail I sent you concerning donating to PAWS.
Love,
Your OLD mom, yet still incredibly cute:)

heidikins said...

Huzzah for training schedules, and double huzzah for a dishwasher! I'm incredibly excited and jealous, all at the same time.

xox

L Sass said...

Congratulations to your mama! What fun.

Also, I plan to bring all my dirty dishes down to your house... that's okay, right?