Tuesday, July 08, 2008

And We're Back

Alright. Where to begin?

Geez. It’s been a whirlwind couple of weeks. As soon as I returned from California, I did a stint at the Taste of Chicago, working at a booth for my sister. Then, mom and Sarah, as well as Sarah’s boyfriend -- the ever-entertaining Lars -- flew into Chicago for the holiday weekend, which was fun, but long and tiring. No offense family.

I’ve been so busy I almost forgot that I’m doing a triathlon in – holy hell – five days.

But first thing first. In the midst of business travel and airports and eating, I managed to find the time to buy a new bike. That’s right… a brand spanking new Trek 7.5 FX hybrid (fitness hybrid versus urban hybrid) to the tune of $800.

Hello Lover.

So, no. It’s not a road bike. MM talked me into getting a hybrid with a solid argument that went something like, “Blah, blah, blah… transition… blah, blah, blah multi-purpose.” I’m just kidding. He had valid points. The truth is, I’m not totally comfortable on road bikes. This bike is significantly lighter than the bike I was riding, and that was the main problem. I already feel 110 times better about riding. I am loving my new bike. And, someday… in a year or two, when I decide to do something BIG, I’ll pony up a grand or two for a road bike.

Other than that, I’m working on getting back on track after two weeks of crazy ass eating (ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner anyone?) and serious training slacking. I do need to give myself some credit. I managed to get in my long run despite my family being present and accounted for, but I’ve gotten to a weird place where a 9 mile run just doesn’t seem like a workout. I know, it’s insanity. I think it’s less that and more just a reaction to the lack of cross training I have done in the last two weeks after a few months of running, biking, and swimming.

In addition to running three miles and some change this morning, I rode the new bike to the gym where I swam 800 meters with only one break. Then, I came home and made dinner. I picked a few recipes from allrecipes.com and actually tried one tonight. It was super easy and pretty tasty.

Spinach Chickpea Curry

I stuck to the recipe with the exception of cutting the amount of oil used in half. I’ve been on a pretty intense rice kick as of late, so I served it over white rice. I was very pleased with the results, but may actually use more curry paste next time. Yum!

OK. That’s what I got for now.

4 comments:

heidikins said...

Ohmygoodness, your triathalon! Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about it!

xox

Lindy said...

So now do you believe me about rice being the perfect "after run" fuel???

Congrats on the new bike!

And I MUST KNOW MORE about your Taste gig. Does your sister run a restaurant or something? Details!

Can't wait to read your race report on the triathlon. Good luck!!!!!!

Let's plan dinner with Meg real soon.

L Sass said...

I love the new bike! I was debating between Trek's fitness bikes and the other hybrids... went for the latter, but I regret it!

Jaime said...

Congrats on the new bike and GOOD LUCK this weekend!!!