Wednesday, August 06, 2008

For Dinner: Aloo Phujia

Since MM and I returned from Ohio, I've made a concerted effort to take advantage of actually being at home by actually cooking dinner a few nights a week. Right now, I am all about Allrecipes.com. Granted, I'm a sucker for the whole online thing (obvi), but I love being able to choose recipes based on the 158 or so reviews. It gives you a much better idea of what you're going to end up with than just a list of ingredients and some instructions.

Tonight, I made Aloo Phujia, an Indian dish. My knowledge of Indian food pretty much begins and ends with Amy's microwaveable Palak Paneer, and -- in all honesty -- I don't believe I've ever actually eaten in an Indian restaurant. Sad, but true. However, after trying the Spinach Chickpea Curry and loving it, I've kept my eye out for other easy, low calorie Indian recipes.

Aloo Phujia

Ingredients
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
Directions
  1. Lightly brown onion in oil in a medium size skillet.
  2. Stir in salt, cayenne, turmeric and cumin. Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
  3. Add tomatoes, cover pan and cook until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.

I made a couple of adjustments:
  • Unfortunately, this recipe has massive amounts of oil. I decided to use three tablespoons instead of 1/4 cup (which is four tablespoons).
  • According to many of the people who rated this recipe, they doubled the amount of cumin used. I used a heaping 1/2 teaspoon. Yay for cumin, right?
Another note:
  • Once you add the tomatoes and put the lid on the pan, do not remove the lid until it has cooked for 10 minutes. The steam helps cook the potatoes, and they turned out perfect. So just... leave it. Don't touch!
Overall, this tasted fantastic, is completely idiot proof (and trust me, I'm an idiot when it comes to cooking), and is really fast and easy to prepare. MM went nuts on this dish despite the fact that it is super spicy and made the sides of my mouth water. Next time -- and there will be a nex time -- I may cut the amount of cayenne in half. But, if you can take some heat, try this recipe!

3 comments:

Roisin said...

I wish I was motivated to cook something bad-ass like that for dinner. I'm getting there, though, slowly but surely!

Nikkie said...

Have you tried Recipezaar.com? I actually like it a little more than Allrecipes, but then again I keep to fairly boring food.

RBR said...

Your gorgeous, athletic, and you cook? Christ, you are giving me a complex!

Your blog disappeared yesterday and was some religious site??? What the hell?

Anyhoooo.... RUN BITCH RUN!!! And post a timely race report. You are a little behind *tap, tap, tap* that is my foot tapping