Tonight, I made Aloo Phujia, an Indian dish. My knowledge of Indian food pretty much begins and ends with Amy's microwaveable Palak Paneer, and -- in all honesty -- I don't believe I've ever actually eaten in an Indian restaurant. Sad, but true. However, after trying the Spinach Chickpea Curry and loving it, I've kept my eye out for other easy, low calorie Indian recipes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Lightly brown onion in oil in a medium size skillet.
- Stir in salt, cayenne, turmeric and cumin. Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, cover pan and cook until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
I made a couple of adjustments:
- Unfortunately, this recipe has massive amounts of oil. I decided to use three tablespoons instead of 1/4 cup (which is four tablespoons).
- According to many of the people who rated this recipe, they doubled the amount of cumin used. I used a heaping 1/2 teaspoon. Yay for cumin, right?
- Once you add the tomatoes and put the lid on the pan, do not remove the lid until it has cooked for 10 minutes. The steam helps cook the potatoes, and they turned out perfect. So just... leave it. Don't touch!