Thursday, September 18, 2008

Blaming Facebook and TV... and "News"

It has come to my attention, even though obviously no one cares, that I have been blogging less than usual. I suppose the inspiration ebbs and flows. Lately, except when I’m doing really long runs, I don’t think in terms of “how I’ll right this story on my blog.” I often think in narrative. Not lately though. Perhaps my brain is turning to mush. Sometimes it feels that way.

I have my suspicions. They are, as follows:
  1. Work. It might be killing me. It’s possible I’m exaggerating, but for those of you who haven’t read this a gazillion times on my blog already, I am traveling this fall… a lot. Of course this directly collides with the final weeks of marathon training, which, if I think about the upcoming weeks too much, makes me feel a bit out of control. Reality is, it’s not out of control. The thing that’s out of control is the amount of crap I ingest while on the road. But that’s a whole ‘nother story.
  2. Facebook. Is everyone else wasting their lives scanning other people’s photos, commenting on status updates, and playing Scramble? No? Just me I guess. God. This social networking crap is like heroin for bored young professionals. I got to get off this stuff.
  3. "Nesting." There’s a lot of relaxing going on at home these days. MM is on vacation. The house is in order… sort of. The family room (yes, we literally have a family room… and yes, it is totally awesome) allows us to lounge for hours.... what with our obscenely large television, cable stations, wireless Internet, and multiple (two) laptops. It’s like a playground of lazy. We (and by “we,” I mean “I”) have been making dinner and camping out on the couch most evenings.
  4. Marathon. The truth is, I stopped thinking about it. It’s easier that way. And really, all of the madness is slowly winding down. I mean, after this weekend – the 20 mile run – it’s all downhill to October 12. I don’t need to think about any of that. My strategy is don’t think, just do. Since the marathon and marathon training is my A number one source of topical information for you folks this presents a bit of a problem. If I’m not thinking about it, I’m not thinking about writing it, and ultimately I’m just not writing it.
  5. The "news" as told by multiple liberal leaning political blogs. I have to say, I feel as though I'm far better educated about the candidates this time around. Granted, I don't tend to "remember" stuff that happened... like... "ago." It's a little mind numbing though, all of it. I have numerous conversations that start with the words, "I'm pretty sure the whole country has lost its collective mind..." And my mom writes me emails that start with, "Lou, I'm so depressed..." and it's all about Sarah Palin and the election. And I laugh because I think my mom's "I'm depressed" emails are funny, which makes me horrible person. How am I to write under these conditions?
  6. Pushups. Have you guys seen this? Keni pointed it out to me a few weeks (a month? three months? what year is this? why do I keep writing 2009?) ago. I love stuff like this. It's so contained and... chart-like. It's a specific time frame with specific outcomes. I'm on week three. And yes, I'm doing them on my knees. But, I figure if I can do 100 on my knees, I can start the program over on my toes. Baby steps people.
I’m glad I have blamed my lack of writing on Facebook. I think it’s about time I recognize that the “Face” is sucking the life out of my creative soul. Haha. Face.

Peace out homies. I’m going to investigate why my Runner’s World never made it my new address even though I changed my address.

5 comments:

lou's mom said...

To clarify, which I don't think you did and by the way, thanks for thinking I'm hilarious, I'm depressed because so many women I thought were smart, think Palin is a 'breath of fresh air'. In just annoys me no end. Has everyone lost their mind?

Roisin said...

I read your blog and I miss it when you don't post. I seriously look at my blog list and as soon as your's shows any kind of activity, I'm all "Oh Lou posted...must read..."

Elections in general depress me so much that I really only talk about them with my father. I'm of the opinion that they bring out the worst in just about everyone. Myself included.

Jaime said...

I agree with Roisin... I check your blog every day and am excited to read your new posts.

Good Luck with the 20 miler this weekend!

Kendra said...

Please tell me you've seen the SNL skit from last Saturday. Hilarious. I heart Tina Fey.

Lindy said...

20 miles! 20 miles! 20 miles! I'm contemplating heading over to the 63rd street beach before heading over to church and screaming my head off (with the girls in tow). Maybe bust out the cowbells and whatnot. I will have to time it just right so I can see you go by. I guess it would be pretty presumptious of me to think you would call me once you get to the 31st street beachhouse, eh? Yeah, probably so.