Friday, October 03, 2008

In a Big, Bad Way

Today officially begins the Chicago Marathon Weather Watch 2008. Doesn't that just sound oh so meteorologist-y? I should be on the TV with the green screen pointing at pictures of smiling sunshines and shit.

Despite all that nonsense, it's true. It's all true. We're 10 days out to the marathon, which means that weather.com will inevitably shift and morph a million different times telling us a million different things, and none of it means hooey until the day before anyways.

This week has been a bit rough. After my extreme taper, I got back on track and even managed some cross training, as I decided it was high time to get back in the pool. Of course, in true Lou fashion, I decided to skip the normal progression an intermediate swimmer might take and jump right in with a… wait for it… masters swim program.

It's a long story, sort of, and at the time, it seemed like a really good idea to sign up. It's an all women group, and if you know me, you know that I'm a gal's gal. It's not terribly far from my house. And it was reasonably priced.

I showed up on Wednesday night in no way prepared for what was ahead. Coach said, "Warm up with 400 free."

I'm sorry, "Ah hem… warm up?" That was entire swim workout for me this summer, not to mention that I haven't been in the pool for two months. I suppose it could have been worse, I mean… at least I knew what he wanted me to do.

The workout kicked my booty something terrible. And then… it got worse. Midway through, as I was standing on my tip toes (as one will do) in the pool waiting for another set of directions I got a cramp in my calf that gripped my leg so intensely I could not lower my heel to the ground. It was so bad, I wondered if I would ever be able to lower my heel to the ground again or if I would be limping around on the ball of my left foot for the rest of my days. I was actually scared. I feared for my leg. While I am prone to cramping of the feet and legs, this is not something I had previously experienced.

So apparently (and I'm sure this is something the triathletes like soooo already know) you lose electrolytes three times faster in the water than you do out of the water.

Didn't know that. Didn't take that in to account. Realized then I was the only one at the practice who did not have their own bottle of electrolyte enhanced sport drink.

Lesson learned. I'm a moron. And I'm still paying for it as my calves (yes both of them, I was plagued with cramping the entire workout) continue to scream at me two days later.

Overall, aside from the ass kicking, I had mixed feelings about the workout, about the group, about my ability to keep up. But, I'm going to go back. I'm going to give it a shot. I mean, what the hell else am I going to do after the marathon.

10 days. October 12, 2008. Scattered Showers. High 70. Low 53.

5 comments:

RBR said...

Now you see my I go to a pre-masters class! Those people is crazy fast!

Good for you for getting out there!

10 days! Sooooo exciting!! I can;t wait to read all about it! You are going to have such a blast. Ok, some of it will suck, but an hour or so you will forget, and get to brag about persevering!!

Here's to praying for cool, overcast weather on next Sunday!

Roisin said...

Oye...that's a fascinating water/out-of-water fact you've got there!

Scattered showers...hmmmm...that sounds like humidity to me.

Lindy said...

1 week: Mostly Cloudy, high 64, ow 45

Source: Weather Channel

Perfect, I'd say.

erika said...

You rock, Lou! I would have quit right then and signed up for old lady water aerobics.

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather!

Kendra said...

53 - what?? BRRRRR