Thursday, January 01, 2009

My New Desk and Other Stuff

I don’t know if you noticed this or not, but it’s January 1, 2009. That’s right folks… the season of weight loss commercials and overcrowding at the gym. But like any good old fashioned woman, I’m making some changes to commemorate another year lost to my bad habits.

First off, I moved my computer. Now, I have one of those adorable MacBooks – the kind that you can basically haul around your house so you can surf the internets at any given moment in time. I previously kept it in the room with MM’s obscenely large television. This meant, I would watch television and have my dinner while simultaneously typing away at the keyboard.

And this, is precisely the reason I decided to move it. To make myself choose… do I want to play Scramble on Facebook? Fine. Godspeed. But don’t do it will eating pasta, talking on the phone, watching the closed captioning scroll by on the television screen, and attempting to cuddle with MM. Ultimately it’s – let’s be honest – it’s a choice between watching television or playing on the computer, but at least this way, I won’t be multitasking my downtime.

Which brings me to my next change. You might want to sit down for this one… I chose a home office over a Garmin.

Huh? What? Are you speaking English? My ears must need a good cleaning.

Let me try this slower. I… chose… a home office… over… a… Garmin.

Why? Because, in reality where people can run without a GPS system strapped to their arm, I actually needed the desk, filing cabinet, and roll-y chair a heck of a lot more. So, I put the computer on the desk, put the whole “system” (Ikea no less) in the spare bedroom, and ta da! I have an office. Where I can sit and not loss bills or important documents while also purposefully searching the Facebooks and Googles.

Ultimately, this was about giving things a place. For two days, I ran around the house pulling out boxes and dismantling closets while reminding MM about my newest mantra – everything has a home. I’m tired of coats on the floor because we have no coat rack and papers piling up in the TV room because I have no filing system, mail being lost because I hid everything in a pile in the spare bedroom when we have company and I always, promptly, forget that I put it there.

My house is, at this very moment, orderly. There is a drawer for lost keys, and one for extra gym locks. I have files for everything from old college papers to my 401K paperwork from a previous job. And there’s a box – a huge one at that – filled with junk, sitting in the hallway, that one of these days is going to make the trip to Goodwill. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

5 comments:

Nikkie said...

Isn't it so nice being organized? Jason and I both agree that when we get our place we have to have room for an office, and I needs some decent closets. Everything can't be piled on the coffee table like it is now :)

heidikins said...

This is my goal for the weekend - I'm excited/scared, all at the same time. :o)

Merry New Year and I'm glad you're back!

xox

Jaime said...

Happy New Year!!!

Sarah said...

Oh man, just reading this made me itchy to go home and organize. Maybe that's why I don't feel ready for 2009!

Roisin said...

You are awesome...I am envious of your filing system. Truly. Envious.

All I have right now is a filing box. And I think I'm going to need another one soon.