Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The World is Changing

Gather ‘round everybody; it’s announcement time!

I’ve been thinking, and maybe it’s a long time coming, or maybe it doesn’t need to be something I “announce,” but here I am, all “announce-y” and shit. So, without further ado, here it is: I know this blog has never solely focused on running and training for endurance events, but as a four-year veteran (?) of the blogging world, I am officially shedding the theme upon which this blog was founded.

Why? I don’t know. Maybe because 2009 has been such a huge life-changing year for me, and there’s so much more I have to say that falls outside the realm of running. Maybe it’s because I decided I needed a “break” from something, only the more I thought about it, I determined it wasn’t my blog. This isn’t to say I won’t write about running (or that I am abandoning running), but I do not plan on putting an official 2010 season together with multiple long distance races beyond a half marathon or two (or three—old habits, you know). But as far as half marathons go, I am comfortable with the amount of time training takes, and while they are challenging, it is not a life-suck like other longer-distance endurance events. Plus, it gives me solid amounts of time to ponder the meaning of life and shit with my running buddies.

When I started this little “side project” to document my training for my first half marathon in 2006, I don’t think it even crossed my mind that I would still be blogging three and a half years later with no end in sight. For awhile, I became nervous about who was reading this blog, and I stuck to topics that seemed “safe.” And honestly, I don’t know who is reading anymore. All I know is that there are 26 subscriptions to “A View from the Park” on Google Reader, and 25 of those people are not me.

Though I definitely plan to continue writing about working out, running, training when and if I decide to sign up for an event, etc., I hope you’ll all be kind and stick with me as I move out of my comfort zone. Hopefully, I won’t offend everyone in the process or embarrass myself, but I’m trying to stop worrying about pointless crap like that.

So here we are, and I’m thirty and married and back in school and at a job I don’t hate, and life is changing. There are things to discuss.

2 comments:

Lindy said...

Wow. Funny, I've been thinking the same thing about running (and no marathons in Twenty-10,) and I actually SAID IT OUT LOUD...to another human being, just 30 minutes before I read this. So, I can totally support ya in that.

So, uh, at the risk of sounding like I'm trying to put a race schedule together, what half mary's are you thinking of doing? :)

Roisin said...

I will still be here, because, as I think I've said before, I just love reading YOU. Whether you write about running or MM, it's always good and I look forward to more of it!