Monday, June 28, 2010

And Counting

It’s official. I am no longer 30. I am now knee deep into my thirties. Um… ankle… let’s say ankle deep.

Is it sad that I keep checking Facebook to judge whether or not an appropriate amount of friends/co-workers/former co-workers/acquaintances/friends-of-friends/total strangers have wished me a happy birthday on wall? Or is this just the reality we live in? You know, the reality where we can determine our worth by the number of connections we have on a social networking site.

No?

Anyway, yay for my birthday! I’m 31 today. I’ll be honest. I was feeling a little “ug” when I woke up today until I reminded myself that the odd years are usually good ones for me. I don’t know when or how I came up with this theory, but we’ll go with it.

10 Things I did when I was 30

1. I started my job at The University the day after I turned 30. So far, so good.

2. I married MM in Sawyer, Michigan on August 22, 2009. I loved my wedding! I mean, I love my husband.

3. I went to Mexico for the first time for our honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas.

4. I ran a half marathon and two 10 mile races.

5. I set a personal record in the Hot Chocolate 5K.

6. I took three classes toward a master’s degree that I may never finish.

7. I took part in wedding madness. In addition to my own wedding, both my sister and @ got engaged (not to each other); I went wedding dress shopping more times than I can count; bought two bridesmaid dresses; planned a bachelorette party for running buddy Meg and a bridal shower for my sister; did a reading at Meg’s wedding; and, most importantly, performed a choreographed routine to the Black Eyed Peas song Imma Be with Meg and another friend at Meg’s wedding reception. It was legend… wait for it… dary.

8. I wrote a book. Or at least, I wrote a first draft of something that I hope eventually becomes a book.

9. I rekindled my love of dance through Zumba classes, which I haven’t written about much yet, but trust me, I will.

10. I moved my blog to louwrites.com. Then I stopped blogging; then I started again. Now, after changing the design of this website yet again, I feel like I’m living in a little half-finished blog house, but it’s coming along.

10 Thing I plan to do while I’m 31

1. Edit that book. I’ll be participating in an eight-week workshop in the hopes that I’ll get that little middle grade novel I wrote about pre-teen party planners into decent shape. The fun starts tomorrow!

2. Buy house in the suburbs; renovate the house in the suburbs; move into the house in the suburbs. Of course, this is all dependent on me not allowing my fear of leaving the city to get in our way.

3. Get a dog. If we move to the suburbs, this is non-negotiable.

4. Get certified to teach Zumba. I’m signed up for the certification course next month (somehow I managed to sandwich this in between my sister’s bachelorette weekend and my sister’s wedding weekend). I’ll also be looking into getting my ACE general group certification as well, which most gyms require before they will allow you to instruct.

5. Run the Madison Half Marathon in August.

6. Go on vacation in Europe! MM and I bought our tickets about a week ago. His cousin is getting married in Romania this fall, and then we’re all (bride and groom included) going to spend a week in Barcelona.

7. Try Bikram yoga. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time.

8. Get this website in better shape. Make it look like it’s really home, not just a temporary home.

9. Pay something off—maybe my car loan, maybe a school loan, but getting out of debt (even good debt) is always nice.

10. Continue participating in wedding madness, including, but not limited to, planning kickass bachelorette parties for my sister and @; writing and performing (performing?) a kickass speech for my sister’s wedding reception; being the best bridesmaid I can be; and dancing my ass off.

Looks like it’s going to be another busy year!

No comments: