Monday, November 15, 2010

The Besties

This weekend my two best friends from college came to visit. I haven’t seen them since my wedding in August 2009.

Seeing them is always bitter sweet. I’m the only one of the three of us who does not have children, so they (in Ohio) tend to come to me (in Chicago) where we can immediately fall into old habits uninterrupted: sitting on the couch, gabbing and eating Cheerios straight from the box (OK, maybe that's just me). My husband was nice enough to make himself scarce.

I have made some very good friends as an adult, but there’s something different about my friendship with these two women. It’s so very real. There are no secrets, and we have long, detailed conversations about things I wouldn’t dream of telling other people. Nothing is off the table, and we know without a shadow of a doubt that we will not be judged by one another. And I realized this visit that I laugh more with these two women more than anyone else I know (except maybe my sister). Nothing is forced.

But because what we have is so special, it is hard to say good-bye and return to a normal life that no longer includes daily contact (unless you count reading Facebook status updates). After I got over the initial shock and depression of their absence, I can only be thankful that I have them in my life and that after 15 years, our relationship has not changed and we will always be there for one another.

No comments: