Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Playing Catch Up

Wow. I neglect the internet for two days and my reader is crazy filled with blogs to read.

Man, this has been one of those weeks. I spent the last two days in focus groups, coming in to work early, leaving work late, listening to people talk about stuff for hours, and wishing I had some of those nifty glasses with the eyeballs painted on them so that I could take a nap. I have never been so happy to be back at work, at my desk, in front of my computer. I do not like being out of my normal routine (unless it involves my couch and some good TV), and I do not like being disconnected. To top it off, I have definitely felt thwarted in my attempts to get back on track this week with my wacky work schedule.

But moving on…

My husband and I have decided to start down the path to doggie adoption. It’s something we have talked about doing on and off since we got married. Now that we are basically settled in our house complete with a fenced in backyard and we have gotten our budget back under control, we feel like we’re ready to take the leap.

I have to admit, I’m nervous about taking complete responsibility for another life, but I’m glad MM and I are going into it at least attempting to understand the commitment we are making. We’re not fooling ourselves that it’s going to be all fun and games. Pet ownership (especially dog ownership) requires time, energy, and money, but I expect it to be rewarding to bring another member into our family.

So far we’ve visited one shelter and met one dog that we liked, but I wasn’t comfortable with the shelter. They didn’t seem to know their dogs. Tomorrow night we’re going to meet a female, lab/pointer mix, who is young (1-2 years old) and currently being fostered. I’m worried that we’ll love her and want to take her home that minute, and then, shit, we’ll have a dog. And I’m worried that we will feel she is not the right choice for us and have to walk away from a good dog who needs a good home. Basically, I’m banking entirely on the fact that we’ll know when we know that we’ve met the right dog.

On the Agenda Tonight…

Workout: 30 minute run
Dinner: Polenta Gratin with Mushrooms and Fontina

No comments: