Tuesday, March 01, 2011

New Beginnings

I am thrilled that March is here. I’m hopeful—fingers crossed—that the worst of winter is behind us (but you never know in Chicago!), and I’m grateful that the sun is still out when I get home from work. It’s not quite spring, but the signs that spring will in fact come again are finally here.

Winter in Chicago is kind of becoming like my yearly gynecologist appointment. Every year it gets worse and I swear I’ll never go through it again. But ultimately, I don’t have a choice. So instead, I grit my teeth and hope that ends quickly and isn’t too uncomfortable.

How’s that for a Tuesday blog!? Let’s talk about lady parts.

But not really.

Moving on... MM and I have signed up for a meat CSA that starts this month. I signed up several months ago (before we even moved I believe) for this new service. I am super excited about it especially now that our neighbors gave us two pork chops from their meat CSA as a thank you for doing them a favor this past weekend.

OMG. These were the best pork chops I have ever had in my life. I honestly did not even know that I liked pork chops, and seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever made them myself. I settled on this Spicy Peach Glazed Pork Chop recipe because I had all but one of the ingredients on hand—though I later realized I had apricot preserves, not peach preserves. I used them anyway, and this recipe was A-MAZE-BALLS.

The service we’re getting is called Honored Prairie. I looked into several meat CSAs and after reading through all the farms that participate in the Honored Prairie CSA, I decided to give them a shot. They are brand spankin' new, so we’ll see if it works out or not, but I didn’t have to sign up for several months or anything. If it doesn’t, we’ll move on to another CSA.

Yesterday, I admitted to my running buddy that I don’t want a race on the calendar right now. I sense that neither of us completely have our heads in the game, and I think it’s truly time for a break without just pushing back the schedule to another race. As weird as it is to not be training for something, I think I am finally ready to have a more varied workout plan that includes strength training, more Zumba and some yoga. When you put a race on the calendar it’s difficult to find the time to do it all. Sometimes, something has to give.

It’s more than that though. In a month or two I might feel differently, but right now, I’m enjoying being at home and getting to know my new neighborhood. When the first thing I do on the weekend is get up on Saturday morning and drive back into the city to run along the lakefront in shitty winter weather, I feel a bit of a disconnect to what is important to me right now. Once the weather is nicer, I know I’ll feel differently about the short trip to the lake AND I’ll be able to explore the good running paths closer to my house. I think I just am looking for that balance, and right now, I don’t feel like I have it.

And so there you have it. It’s March. I’ve been honest with myself and my running buddy. Just in time for spring.

No comments: