Sunday, January 29, 2012

On Being Back

You might be wondering why I chose now to return to A View from the Park after a rather long on-again-off-again hiatus. I never wanted to quit blogging, but I’ve felt as though I’ve been stuck in a world filled with writer’s block.

Back in the day (what now, five and a half years ago?), I used to eat, sleep and breath writing about running. You couldn’t hold a conversation without me mentioning this blog (or running). Hardly a thought went through my head without it sounding as though it was the perfect opening line to a new post. I loved this blog.

But I was also horribly bored and miserable at work and still in the process of finding my way in Chicago.

A lot has changed since then, and as something like an adult life began falling into place for me, my desire and inspiration to write started to wane. But as I lost my grip on this, a lot of great things happened… I met the ladies who would become my closest friends in Chicago; I began dating the guy who would become my husband; I started a new job that ended up being a great job; I got engaged and subsequently married; MM and I bought a house, renovated it, and moved to the suburbs (which was followed closely by adopting a dog); and I began fulfilling some of my non-running related fitness goals. Sometimes I feel like taking on those new, more pressing projects (wedding planning, house renovation, choreographing for Zumba) zapped my creative energy, leaving little inspiration for extracurricular activities like writing.

Nonetheless, I’ve always wanted to get back to a place where blogging ranked high on my list of favorite hobbies, where writing a great post made me happy. Truth be told, I’m not sure I’m there, but I’m going to try.

So why now?

Mostly because I’m pregnant (I know, I totally buried the lede), and I know this is a time in my life that I’m going to want to have a written record of. I’m not a good personal journal keeper. I know if I ever ended up with one of those pregnancy books where you write in milestones and stuff, I'd forget about the fact I owned it within a week. With blogging, I like the “idea” that I’m writing for an audience (however small) for whatever reason, and so, I’m back.

But let’s not gloss over the OMG PREGNANT part of this post.

Here’s the deal: I am 14 weeks pregnant, officially in my first week of my second trimester. I’m due July 29, 2012. Yes, we are going to find out if it’s a girl or a boy, mostly because if it is a boy, I need time to process that. More than anything, I want a healthy baby (and I feel more strongly about that every time we see or hear the baby), but having grown up in a female-dominant family, I struggle to picture myself with a baby boy. If we’re having a boy, I want to see that, get used to it, get excited about it.

That covers the big three right… How far along are you? When are you due? Are you going to find out what you’re having? Trust me, there’s more to come.

3 comments:

heidikins said...

Oh my goodness, woman, YES you know how to bury an announcement! Congratulations! I absolutely started tearing up here at work reading the last half of this post (thank you for that, btw)! I am so happy and excited for you and MM!

xox

Lindy said...

I hadn't heard the date yet...yay, that's three days after my birthday, which is totally awesome. by then you'll be tired of being pregnant, so you won't mind my saying "I hope your baby comes a few days early!"

Lou said...

Thanks ladies. Lindy, I'm sure by July I'll be hoping that my baby comes a few days early too! However, I'm banking on a few days late :).