Monday, January 23, 2012

Things That I Love: Burritos

You know what I love? Did the title of this post tip you off?

I love burritos.

I am pretty open to a wide variety of vegetarian, chicken or pork varieties, but my favorite burrito is pretty lame: It’s a vegetarian black bean burrito (no peppers), rice, corn salsa, a little bit of sour cream, a little bit of cheese, lettuce, guacamole on the side from Chipotle.

Mmmmm... Chipotle.

But there’s a serious problem with Chipotle. That little (OK, big) vegetarian burrito with mostly (ahem) seemingly healthy ingredients tops out at over 1,000 calories, and while that’s OK some of the time, it’s not OK all of the time like I would like it to be.

A few years ago, a friend sent me a black bean burrito recipe that I never tried because I typically refuse to buy tortillas least I eat the entire package in one sitting. For one reason or another, this has changed, and my ability to pace myself with a package of 10 flour tortillas has increased, so I finally dug up the recipe in my email and gave it a shot. I realized quickly that it is only a minor revision of this Allrecipes.com recipe, aptly titled: Delicious Black Bean Burritos. Says the recipe contributor, "These burritos are soooo good, you'll want to have them every night."

She (or he, I guess) was correct. After making these for the hubs and myself last night, I do want to eat them again... like, right now.

For the record, I cut back on the amount of oil (2 TBSP isn’t necessary) and the amount of cream cheese (I used about 2 ounces). Then I added chopped avocado, a small amount of sour cream, and lots of mild salsa. The burrito didn’t last long enough for me to take a picture.

No comments: