Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Unexpected Message

I woke up this morning to an unexpected email from a friend of a friend. Truth be told, I remember the friend, and I remember the party, which was in the summer during marathon training in 2008. I don't remember getting on my "Running Changed My Life" soapbox, but let’s be honest, it's not exactly a leap to believe that I might have said something like this:
Hi Lou,
I am a friend of G's and we met a few years back at a party at her house. At the time you mentioned to me that running had changed your life. For some reason that comment stuck in my head, along with the fact that it seemed crazy. [Bolding added for emphasis :)]
But then I started running in August and I realized recently that you were right. :D

So I wanted to say thank you for making that comment! I will be running my third 5k in March and hope to work up to a 10k at some point.

I hope your 2012 is off to a wonderful start!

PS Reebok Real Flex shoes = my new absolute favorite!
Awwwwww... This really brightened my morning. It also made me a little sad that my passion and drive to train for running events has been a bit eclipsed by a little thing called LIFE getting in the way (wedding, moving, etc.) as well as my focus on teaching Zumba; however, I have never stopped running, nor have I stopped enjoying running, and I hope that eventually I’ll have the motivation and desire to train again.

So I wrote her back:
Hi!
It's nice to hear from you. I remember you and that party. I think that was the weekend I slept for like 18 hours at G's house (I blamed it on eating encased meats, but it was more likely from marathon training). I'm glad to hear that I no longer sound/seem crazy (G may have a different opinion on that). :)

It's always exciting when someone catches the running bug. I've slowed down a bit in the last year. My husband and I moved a year ago, and training seems to have taken a backseat to getting the new house in order and other life events. I have continued to run--outside even in the winter--at least once a week, and I'm contemplating signing up for some spring races.

Your email made me smile this morning, so I appreciate you sending it. Good luck on your race in March and definitely train for a 10K--you'll love it. If you ever have any questions or anything, not that I'm an expert, but I'm happy to give any insight. Or if you just want to share your running trials and tribulations, I'd love to hear about those as well.

No comments: