Thursday, February 23, 2012

The ‘Moon

Ah, the babymoon, the last vacation a couple takes before baby makes three. Do we hate this word and/or concept yet? No? OK, good.

My husband and I haven’t been on a just-the-two-of-us and for-no-other-reason-than-to-relax (read: not for someone’s wedding) vacation since our honeymoon, which was in August 2009. So we decided (I decided?) that we’re doing this babymoon thing.

We talked about a cruise initially, but I tend to be biased against cruises as being in international waters seems to invite tragedy, and I don’t want to end up on the Today Show discussing the HORRIBLE THING that happened on the cruise ship. Worse, I don’t want to be the person who is victim of that HORRIBLE THING. So, no cruise, not this time.

We talked about going out of the country, but cost-wise and pregnant-wise that seemed daunting. I don’t want to deal with overnight flights, language barriers, or unfamiliar food. So in the U.S., we shall stay.

Narrowing it down to the 48 continental states is actually a good thing. Rarely do we vacation based on no other reason than, “Here’s a place we’d like to go.” We're usually traveling for family, for friends, for weddings, for races. Not just because we'd like to check a place out.

I, the official vacation planner, started looking at cities. My criteria: 1) It must be accessible via Southwest Airlines so we can use our miles and not actually pay for the flight; 2) It must be warm; 3) There must be a pool and/or beach; 4) The food options must be epic.

Yes, epic. Have you met my husband? He likes to eat.

After lots of time on TripAdvisor, I came up with three choices:
  1. San Diego, CA
  2. Austin, TX
  3. Charleston, SC
Austin was the early favorite and remained so throughout my research. Plus, I had the benefit of having not one, but two, Texas friends to provide me with endless restaurant recommendations, including MM’s request, “Where can I get the best hamburger in Austin?” Apparently it's this place.

So it’s official, we’re trying to finalize the dates, but we’ll be spending our Babymoon in Austin. Since I am lazy and don’t believe that a vacation should involve a lot of schlepping around, pregnant or not (Seriously, do not expect me to run from museums to monuments to historical whatevers, I don’t care if I’m in EUROPE.), we’ll be splitting our time between staying in Austin, near the action, and staying at a spa about 30 minutes outside of the city. And we’ll be eating--based on the list of restaurants recommendations I’ve received--a lot.

1 comment:

heidikins said...

I have heard all sorts of awesome things about Austin!! Have so much fun!

xox