Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Step Away from the Forum

Based on my current in-between jobs situation at work and some other non-interesting bits of work-related nonsense, I have had a lot of downtime lately between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. It’s so bad that I often throw up my hands in disgust and give up on procrastination and do that last thing on my list that isn’t due for weeks and I was saving for tomorrow. Yes. It's that bad.

Faced with too much time and way too much internet access, I have been doing extensive baby-related research, both specific and non-specific. The specific topic du jour is cloth diapering; non-specific topics include anything that catches my eye on the Baby Center forum. This is becoming dangerous. Today, after reading a thread called, “20 wk ultrasound wrong!” (the punch line: BabyLuv4EVR’s baby girl is now a boy), I went on an internet search rampage. I totally made that username up BTDub. 

After some intense Googling attempting to find statistics about how often ultrasound techs are wrong, I only had more forums with more stories about little girls becoming little boys and, though less common, little boys becoming little girls. That led to using the Google to find a 3D ultrasound service near my home, which led to me asking friends on Google Chats if I had totally lost my mind (I’m pretty sure the answer was yes).

Here’s the thing: I wanted to find out if our baby is a girl or a boy for a reason, and while I know logically that it doesn’t really matter what we leave the hospital with as long as we leave a healthy and happy family of three, I am now freaking out that we are preparing for a little girl when we should be preparing for a little boy.

Anyway, our ultrasound tech seemed pretty confident about our scan and confirmed the gender from about four different angles, so I’m sure there’s only small chance that she is he, and I’ll probably get over this if I can lay off the Baby Center (et al) forums for a few days.

That said, here’s an updated bump shot for interested parties (22 weeks and 6 days). The grainy shot almost hides the fact that I’m looking a little rough from… well… it was 8 a.m. and I was on my way to workout, but I certainly don’t have any sort-of hard-partying, late-night excuse. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Jadzia@Toddlerisms said...

I found that too much time on the forums when I was pregnant only led to middle-of-the-night weeping about the million things that could possibly be wrong with my baby.