Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Big Reveal

I've been lucky enough this pregnancy to be (almost literally) surrounded by friends who are pregnant, including some of my closest friends in the Chicago area. But, I've been particularly lucky to be expecting at the same time that my sister is expecting.

My sister is due in early October, and while she and I have always been close, being able to talk about pregnancy symptoms, baby gear, maternity leave, and names has provided us with yet another source of material to bond over.

Back in December, MM and I had the opportunity to surprise our families with the news of the pregnancy. My sister and her husband, who live on the East Coast, didn't have that opportunity so this past weekend, they decided that they would wait to find out if they were having a boy or a girl while we were all together visiting my mom and her husband over Memorial Day in Ohio.

Gender reveal parties are apparently totally a thing now. My sister had her 20 week ultrasound and had the tech write down the gender of the baby and seal it in an envelope. Somehow they managed not to look (I don't know that I could have done that) and handed the envelope off to a friend who called a bakery in Ohio.

The cake was totally adorable: 
He or she? What will I be?
 Here comes the big moment:
My sister and her husband cut the cake.
The baby's gender is revealed through cake filling:
It's a boy!
My sister and her husband are having a boy! My mom is having a grandson! MM and I are having a nephew!
The happy parents-to-be.
Oh, and the cake was really good too, and I'm not even a cake person.

No comments: