Wednesday, July 04, 2012

36 Weeks: Looks Like We Made It

To July anyway.

There is a decent chance I will have a baby this month (but with my due date so close to the end of the month, there’s also a decent chance I will have a baby next month). The babycenter.com July 2012 board has gone from rants about cheating boyfriends, baby showers, and family drama to birth annoucements, castor oil debates, “is this labor” questions, and “is anyone still pregant” posts (my personal favorite because for a due in July board with approximately 15,000 members, the obvious answer is ‘uh, yeah, it’s only July 4’).

It’s kind of less entertaining.


It’s getting hot in here... I picked a hell of a summer to be very, very pregnant. I’m relieved if I see that the weather report includes high temperatures in the 80s rather than the 90s or--good lord--the 100s. For as beautiful as it looks outside, I’ve spent the majority of my days inside, in the air conditioning. More than 15 minutes or so outside, and my fingers and feet swell up. It’s less than ideal.

This means that I haven’t been running. My last run/walk was at 33 weeks, and I blame the weather (rather than my ever-diminishing fitness level). Running was getting hard--there’s no denying that--but once temperatures hit the 90s+, I realized that my running days were over for the time being. I knew it was coming, but I wanted to make it to 35 weeks before I started walking exclusively.

Exercise in general is becoming more difficult. I haven’t exactly been hard on myself during this pregnancy about keeping a workout schedule, but I would say for the most part, I had been pretty consistent about working out three or four times a week. Now... eh... not so much. I’m trying to get back to yoga, but the class I like starts at 7:30pm, and as an example, yesterday I fell asleep on the couch after work and work up at 8pm. Sometimes, my body just does not want to keep going until 7:30pm.

Other than exercise, up until 36 weeks, I was telling people about how good I felt; how I was sleeping through the night (even without bathroom breaks); how I was still comfortable. It’s like a switch flipped on Sunday, and in the last four days, I’m waking up every night to go to the bathroom; I'm tired all the time; and I generally just don’t feel that great. I’m functioning, but my guess is that this is just going to be how it is for the next 25 (or so) days. I still don’t have back pain, and while I feel like a clumsy whale walking around, I don’t have a problem getting comfortable to sleep, so I’m grateful for those things.

Perhaps this is the way it’s supposed to be, so that those of us who have some fear going into the great unknown of birthing and parenthood can stop being scared and start being ready. I’ve started looking forward to being considered “full term” (in four days) and knowing that this is truly, truly temporary. While I don’t believe this babe is going to come early--or even on time--it’s undeniable that the end, and a new non-pregnant beginning, is near.

In the meantime, MM and I are planning to do things like installing the carseat and packing our hospital bags. We’re going to take this weird middle-of-the-week day off to relax and stay out of heat, clean out the car, and maybe semi-organize the basement. Happy 4th everyone!

No comments: